help needed

pretty certain i have ms, had same symptoms for nearly 4 years now, can i ask how often (on average as i know everyone different) people with ms have a episode? is it once a year? once a motnh? twice a year?

hi dan

have you been seen by a neurologist?

if not, then the first step is to ask your gp to refer you to neurology.

don’t say that you think its ms because doctors dont like us to self diagnose,

good luck

[quote=“pigpen”]

hi dan

good luck

[/quote] going to doctors tommorow after work, sick of them fobbing me off with excuses and it coming back, 99% certain its ms will just come straight out with it at docs as they have been fobbing me off long enought

pigpen can you make a stab at answering my question?

The question you ask is a bit hit and miss ( is that the phrase?). It’s like asking how long’s a piece of string. I’ve had several phases of fatigue and one major relapse this year so far. Last year felt like a continual one. But it’s different in everyone, one person may have one relapse a year; another may have 5… MS is different in everyone, though MSitself does have it’s characteristics , they just present differently. Pigpen is right. It’s definately a referral job to a neurologist. If the GP isn’t doing the referral, ask why and demand one. They cannot refuse a referral as far as I’m aware. I hope you get on the way to getting it sorted. It’s not nice not knowing yet feeling so ill at the same time. Frustrating and anxiety inducing. Best of luck x

there are many diseases/illness’ that resemble MS out there. Neuro is the best bet.

it is impossible to say how often a person will have an “episode” some people go years, others its one after another one. some people recover, others dont. like beverly said, everyone with MS is different. I had 2 bad relapses in the last year and many little flair ups, but with 8 years of being diagnosed, i have only had about 6 or 7 relapses needing steroids. other people might have had many for everyone of those years

there is no average for this disease

dan

to answer your question -

i had a massive relapse just as i was going through the process of diagnosis.

i went to greece and the heat hit me like a ton of bricks.

the following 12 months i was always falling, once i broke my big toe in a fall.

i ended up using a walking stick.

the following five years i was fairly well and stopped using the stick.

this year my ms has come up behind me, knocked me about a bit and left me feeling weak.

fortunately i realise that everything changes and i wont be like this forever. i won’t!!!

so i can only tell you about my own ms.

carole x

[quote=“pigpen”]

hi dan

good luck

[/quote] Dan as you are aware there is no average, I haven’t had a relapse for four years but I’m getting worse by the month. Before that I used to get minor episodes, I had two instances of double vision lasting 6 weeks each and then one major relapse that put me out of action for nine months Pigpen (Carole) gave you the best advice you need to see a Neurologist, and they do not like anyone to self diagnose. Have you seen a Neuro? What are your symptoms? Forgive me if I’m wrong but you seem a little agitated, may I suggest a few deep breaths before speaking to you GP, you need to marshal your thoughts so you don’t forget to explain anything to him/her. Jan