HELP...Is a Suprapubic catheter a good idea?

Caz,

As long as you do not put oil into the water as this makes the ‘connections’ slippery- then the drainage bag will not stay on. This has been my experience in the past. A handful of sea salt will help heal and keep the cath site clear. l personally hate baths - prefer to shower - have handles to help me - and a seat if l need it. l find it so difficult to get in and out of a bath. And l feel so lousy afterward a bath - it saps all my strength. OK if going straight to bed! - l shower in the mornings - as l find it refreshes me - especially if l turn the temp right down to nearly cold for the last few seconds. l find this very invigorating and helps my muscles.

Best wishes to you both

F.

Dear Caz,

I haven’t a clue about having a bath. I have a shower because I would be unlikely to ‘manage’ a bath - although I used to enjoy a ‘bath’. I’ve just suffered a relapse and was unable to shower - I didn’t move though, for about ‘4’ days. Had a shower ‘with a little help from my wife’ this morning (and things are slowly ‘back to normal’ although I find it awkward to walk). After 14 years of MS. you’ve given me an idea of a ‘bath lift’ (give yourself a pat on the back from me!, thanks) - Please give your ‘hubby’ my best wishes.

Regards,

Marcus.

Patting myself on the back Marcus…The bathlift really is a great idea…We have the Aquila bathlift given to us by the OT…Look it up it goes all the way down in the bath and reclines also.

Hubby was sent home from hospital with a long term indwelling catheter until he can have the suprapubic… We thought that would be in 1 months time… Letter came today it will be 2nd August :frowning: How long can these indwelling catheters be in you without changing ?

Also hubby tried today to empty the bag into a container and I shouldn’t laugh but I had more “PiSS” on me than the container… Thanks hubby…He cannot walk to the toilet to empty as legs still weak and he is on a rehab programme at home for 4 weeks. So home is our dining room for him at present.

bump

Hi Caz,

I’ve just read all the notes (honestly, I had forgotten and I suddenly realised that I was reading about myself without realising it).

I go to get the first ‘supra-pubic catheter’ removed on Friday (after 11 weeks). Generally, it seems to be working ok so I’ll pay attention to the surgeon’s advice and if he advises me to continue then I will. Your husband should be ‘clear about what he wants to do’ - it has to be his decision and where I was a bit nervous to begin with, I now look back at it and wonder what all the fuss was about. Always keep remembering that it is ‘reversible’ in the early days or whenever your husband wants - tell your husband that ‘he is always in control’ and the medical people are there to give advice. Good luck to your hubby and honestly (pardon the swear word) - It is a ‘piece of piss’ (to coin a phrase?)

Marcus. x.

Hi Marcus

I just read this out to my hubby and he said to tell you it has given him more confidence to move forward… Thanks Very much appreciated :slight_smile:

Caz

Hi Caz (and hubby),

MS is hard enough to deal with (on it’s own) and any assistance from anybody or anything is ‘craved’ for. Although, it doesn’t mean that your ‘dignity’ should suffer. Listen to what people say (if you want) - then make up your ‘own mind’ - I do (a bit difficult at times because my wife is catholic and from Northern Ireland - you start to become aware of where the troubles (possibly came from?). However, my wife is very good to me - she is an Optometrist and studied at London University. Back to the ‘suprapubic catheter’ - Only make a decision when you are ‘happy’ with it - To be honest, it is (bloody) annoying having to wear a catheter in the first place but that is a seperate issue and there is a ‘benefit’ of not having to go to the loo everytime that you need to go to the toilet! BUT IT IS YOUR DECISION AND YOU HAVE TO MAKE THE CHOICE. I had the same dilemma and made my decision because the surgeon said that it is ‘reversible’ and when I got the ‘catheter’ fitted - there was NO pain at all - but it is your decision! If you are still not ‘totally convinced’ you can search for ‘stories about suprapubic catheters’ on the internet (possible example - http://www.spinalinjurycentre.org.uk/information/029.asp?UType=1&CType=1 )

Good luck and best wishes (whatever you decide)

Marcus.

Thanks Marcus again.

Everything planned for the 2nd August and urology nurse just phoned to say catheters bags etc to be sent on Friday…Not sure what is being sent. She said she is also sending a tummy strap similar to the strap at top of thigh to stop catheter moving…

We will be going on a cruise hopefully in November so hope this will be good to manage on the plane…Wondering whether we can discreetly empty it on the flight… oh well we will see.

Caz

Not long now to Suprapubic being fitted for hubby.

All nerves but won’t know what carer will have to do in mornings until it is done.

Caz

Hubby Finally got the SP fitted on 2nd August and he was sore at first but that has settled down. The stitch was taken out today but the District Nurse came expecting us to have the tools to remove it… Lord help us.

The district nurse then asked me how many stitches did they put in…Well I don’t have a clue maybe looking at it might tell you. I have not got a lot of confidence in the district nurses we are being sent and in fact I had to dress the wound over 2 days as they said it could be left from Friday until Monday when they come again… Well it couldnt be left with that yuck around the dressing. Luckily I had saline solution and dressings.

The district nurse put the dressing back on… Can hubby have a shower with the waterproof dressig on and does it have to be changed after each shower?

Thanks

Caz

Your hubby will have to drink lots of fluid current recomendations between 2/3 l a day. Though not many people manage that. It will need to be changed every 12 weeks. There isn’t any proof thst uti s are less using on. Every time you introduce a catheter it increases the risk of utis. But if your hubby can’t pee with out a catheter then its the next step.is an Indwelling catheters.Catheters are prone to blocking and again this is solved by drinking plenty.

They don’t tend to now give antibiotics for utis unless the person is showing symptoms like a fever, sickness, etc.So really no more or less hastle than he goes through presently

Yes dressing needs to be changed after a shower unless he has a waterproof one. First change has to normally be done in hospital, well it is in our area. I would make friends with your district nurses as they will be the ones looking after it from the first change. Bless you xx

Caz,

lf you feel that the district nurses are not experienced enough - ask your GP if you could have the ‘agency incontinence’ nurses. All they do is catheter changing - they are the experts. The one l know works for Wilkinsons - l ring them up to re-order caths/bags/ cath gel etc. All is delivered to the door. Mine has re-trained all the local district nurses - and does give them regular updates. l can contact her on her mobile anytime. She also always carries a ultra-sound kit - so if she thinks your bladder is not emptying properly she can check. l have mine changed every 5weeks -any longer it becomes difficult to remove and then causes ‘trauma’ which can make the site ‘angry’. Salt water is best for healing - so is not covering it - fresh air works best. lf you keep it covered it causes a damp-warm enviroment - not ideal.

l was surprised you said they had put stitches in - l did not have any when mine was done.

An elastic ‘garter’ will keep the cath/bag in place whilst bathing or showering- and is easy to dry off for the following day.

Wilkinsons 0800 626 524 - there are other agencies. Do a bit of googling.

All the best

F.

I’m being advised to have a suprapubic catheter, and to me, it feels like a very scary solution, but anything seems better than uncontrolled bladder emptying. Intermittent catheterisation doesn’t seem reliable any more.

Does anyone know if you get any urethral bladder emptying once the suprapubic catheter is in place or is that the end to incontinence?

I know it’s been a while since anyone posted on this thread, but any thoughts would be welcome.

Thanks Diane

I have an indwelling catheter use flip flo valve when I go out or wear dress/shorts etc but thinking of SP cath can I still use a flip flo if out wearing dress/shorts or do I always have to have bag on? Do I need to wear a pad for any leaks if using flip flo and no free drainage into a bag?

Not sure if I posted this properly I have a normal indwelling urinary catheter but want to go to a SPC. I use a flip flo valve when I wear dress or shorts or go out can I still do this with an SPC and do I need to wear a pad for any “leaks” ?