Got forum questions?

Getting started on the forum

How do I create a new account?

To create a new account go to the forum homepage at forum.mssociety.org.uk and then select ‘create account’ from the options near to the top right of the page.

Input your email address and chosen password. You will then be sent a verification email. Select to activate your account and you will be able to sign in and start using the forum.

What are categories?

Categories are groups of posts that other users are posting about relating to a particular topic, like symptoms and treatments. All topics have to be assigned to a category. The categories on the forum are:

Welcome and introductions

Caring for someone with MS

Everyday living

Symptoms and treatments

Finance and benefits

New diagnosis and before diagnosis

Primary progressive MS

What is a topic?

A topic is what we call a post. It’s the first post in a new thread of discussion within a category. It may be a question or statement that other forum members respond to.

Another member’s response to a topic is a reply.

How do I like a topic?

To like a topic another forum user has posted select the like button below the topic post:

To like a reply from another forum user select the heart symbol below the reply:

How do I create a new topic?

There are a few different ways to create a new topic. From the home page you can click the purple ‘new topic’ button that is over on the right below the three images near to the top of the page. That will create a pop-up box where you can write your new topic. You will need to add a title, assign it to a category and you may want to add some tags to it as well.

Another way to create a new topic is from a category page by selecting the purple ‘new topic’ button that is over on the right. That will create a pop-up box where you can write the new topic. You will need to add a title, assign it to a category and you may wish to add some tags to it as well.

I’m a new user, why are my posts are not published instantly?

Our team of moderators need to approve a new users first three posts before they appear on the forum. We do this to ensure the forum remains a safe space for all users and free from any content which is against our community guidelines. Once a new user has has their first three posts manually approved - all future posts will be published automatically.

How can I tag or mention another user?

To tag another forum user in a topic or reply type ‘@’ and begin to type their username. A pop-up list of users will show for you to choose from. The other user will then receive a notification of the mention.

What are bookmarks used for?

Bookmarks are a way to save a topic to return to read later. This may because it looks interesting but you can’t read it at that time or because you wish to look at it again in the future.

How do I bookmark?

You can bookmark any topic by selecting the ‘bookmark’ button at the bottom of the topic post.

You can bookmark a topic reply by selecting the ‘bookmark’ icon that looks like a ribbon end below the reply.

When you bookmark you can give it a name and also set a reminder to read it at a chosen date and time. Or you can choose to receive no reminder.

How do I find my bookmarks?

Click on your profile icon near to the top right of the page. From that drop down menu select the ribbon end icon. That will show you your recently bookmarked posts. By then clicking the down arrow it will take you to all your bookmarks.

How can I edit my bookmarks?

Navigate to your bookmarks and select ‘…’ from the bookmark you wish to edit. You can then edit or delete the bookmark as you wish.

How can I create a saved search?

To use saved search go to your profile by selecting your profile image near to the top right of the page.

Select the person icon from the right hand side and choose ‘preferences’. At the bottom of the left hand list you’ll see ‘saved searches’, select that choice.

You can enter up to five terms of your choice and you will then be notified if related topics are posted by other forum members

What is a saved search?

Saved search is a way to be notified if another forum member posts about something you’re interested in. For example, if you want to know when others mention a specific symptom you can create a saved search and be notified when it’s talked about.

What are tags?

Tags are a way to describe your topic so that others can more easily it. All topics with that tag are then grouped together for others to browse. You may use tags to find specific topics about things that are of interest to you.

How do I search tags?

You can find tags at the bottom on the forum homepage, either at the bottom of the page or nearer the top of the page under the three images by selecting ‘all tags’ and then the tag of your choice. Popular tags can also be found on each category page over on the right.

How do I send someone a private/direct message?

To send a private message click your profile icon near the top right of the page. Select the envelope icon followed by the down arrow.

Select the ‘new message’ purple box on the left-hand side. Input the usernames of the user or users you would like to message, add a title and write your message.

To send select ‘message’. To delete the message select ‘cancel’. Or to come back to the message later press the down arrow on the top right of the message box. To continue writing the draft, tap the purple ribbon along the bottom of the page and the message box will appear again.

Can I private message more than one person in one message?

Yes, you can message more than one user. To do this input the user names of those you wish to message in the ‘add user’ box.

How can I see my private messages?

You can see your private messages by clicking your profile icon near the top right of the page. Select the envelope icon and you will see your most recent private messages.

To see all your private messages click the down arrow and it will take you to your private message inbox.

How can I report a post?

If you feel a post breaks our forum guidelines and you wish to report it to admin press the flag symbol below the topic post or reply. Select the reason why you’re flagging the post and press the purple ‘flag post’ button to submit. Our moderators will reply as soon as possible.

How can I see my notifications?

To see your notifications, click your profile icon near to the top right of your page. This will drop down to show your most recent notifications. If you have new notifications you’ve not looked at numbers will show on your profile icon.

How do I post anonymously?

Sometimes you may wish to post anonymously. You can do this by going to your profile icon, which is the circle near the top right of the page. Select the person icon from that drop down and you’ll see ‘Enter anonymous mode’.

As a new anonymous account will be created you’ll need to accept the terms and conditions again. Then you can post new topics or reply to topics without other users knowing who you are.

To go back to your account you have to log out as the anonymous user and then log in again using your usual username and password.

What are badges?

Badges are awarded when forum users participate in positive activity on the forum. Badges are awarded for things like reading the guidelines, liking posts or posting a quote.

How do I change my profile picture?

To change your profile picture select your profile icon towards the top right of the page and then select the person icon from the right of the drop down. Select preferences and then you can select the pencil button to change your profile picture.

To upload your own image select ‘custom picture’ and ‘upload’ and choose your preferred image from your device files.

How can I change my notifications preferences?

To change your notifications settings select your profile icon towards the top right of the page and then select the person icon from the right of the drop down. Select preferences and then ‘notifications’ from menu along the left-hand side.

Here you can change various notifications options to best suit your preferences.

How can I change my email notifications?

To change your email settings select your profile icon towards the top right of the page and then select the person icon from the right of the drop down. Select preferences and then ‘emails’ from menu along the left-hand side.

Here you can change your email notification options to best suit your preferences.

How can I post an expanded link?

An expanded link is where you link to another website and it produces a preview of that page. You may be used to seeing this on sites like Facebook and Twitter.

To do this on the forum create a new topic and give it a title, assign it to a category and add tags. In the box for the topic content post the link to the website you wish to share. This will create the expanded link in the preview box. Select the purple ‘create topic’ button to post.

How can I upload an image?

To post an image to a topic create the new topic and give it a title, assign it to a category and add tags. In the box for the topic content select the image option from the formatting toolbar and choose the image you wish to upload from your computer.

You’ll see this preview in the topic preview box on the right. Type any content you wish to post with the image and select the ‘create topic’ button to post.

How can I change my password?

To change your password sign out of your account using the option towards the top right of the page. Select sign in again and then ‘forgot password’. Input your email and you’ll be sent an email which will allow you to reset your password.

How can I delete my account?

You may self-delete your account if you have been using the forum for less than two days and you have posted fewer than two posts. You can do this by accessing your profile at the top of the forum, selecting ‘preferences’ and ‘delete my account’.

If you have been using the forum for more than two days and wish to delete your account, you can contact a moderator by emailing: forum@mssociety.org.uk. They will anonymise your posts but your posts will remain on the forum. In this circumstance, you may wish to delete any posts yourself that you feel could identify yourself. Only in particular circumstances would we completely delete your account activity.

4 Likes