Gluten intolerance

You can make gluten free batter using cornflour [ also good for thickening gravy/sauces] egg white whisked lightly and sparkling water - or beer. A good pinch of turmeric gives it a good colour

Any leftover gluten free bread can be made into breadcrumbs and even frozen until you need them.

l think most of us will feel better going gluten free.

Keep up with the vit d3 - its essential or anyone with an autoimmune disease.

1 Like

Thanks Spacejacket. I don’t remember seeing you on here before (though my brain isn’t very reliable so if you’re a regular I apologise) so I’ll say hi and welcome. Thanks for your input, I’ve never thought about making breadcrumbs from leftover or hard bread before so thank you for that, I’ll definitely add it to my notes. It’s only just occurred to me that the bought ones won’t be any good to me now and I always keep them in, love crumbed chicken and pork. So much to learn …

Once again, thanks everyone, I’m finding reading and remembering very difficult so I’m now making a new file with recipes, tips etc. It’s hit me just how much more food prep I’m going to have to do as I really suffer from fatigue by evening when we have our main meal and I can’t change the time as Jen’s at college all day, and I use a lot of ready made sauces in jars. All of them have banned substances to thicken or bind so I’m going to have to make them from scratch too. I love cooking but only when I’m not exhausted. Never mind, these things come to try us and I’m a fighter!!! Your help is really appreciated.

Cath xx

Hi Cath

Marks and spencer sell lovely sauces that are gluten free. They are just normal everyday sauces but without the gluten. Many good shop bought sauces use cornflour for thickening which is fine for Coeliacs.

X

Hiya Cath this glutton free thing sounds like a total pain in the ass. Sorry you’ve got to start dealing with learning a whole new way towards watching what you eat. That sucks! I’ll be honest, I don’t know anything about gluten or how it affects us in regard to being intolerant. I don’t thankfully have any food intolerances, as far as I’m aware anyway but I really sympathise with people that do. My elderly auntys got coelliac disease & doesn’t eat any dairy produce either. She’s always creating new dishes for her & my uncle though. He loves his grub but hasn’t complained (too much ha!) about the change in his diet. That could be due to the fact that if he wants to eat then he’ll eat “what he’s given or have nowt” however. Hopefully the dietician will be able to help with ideas & suggestions of things you can do & in no time at all, it’ll be second nature to you & you’ll be able to do other things you enjoy instead cos you’ll have more energy from not having the food toxins inside you, slowing you down.

Take care x

Thanks Blossom, I’m so pleased there are ready made sauces I can buy. They make life so much easier and the thought of learning how to make them all and buying all of the ingredients is usually very expensive, especially when a lot of them have short shelf lives and you only need a tiny amount. I’ll definitely have a look, thank you so much!!

Libertine I’ll admit to being new to the diet thing too. As a nurse I was happy to order special diets for people but the dieticians were the ones who dealt with them from there. I’m very fortunate in that I can still have dairy products. We’re still waiting for my daughter’s results to come through to see if she has Coeliac too. I never imagined I had anything like this either. I had severe anaemia last year and to follow up they did endoscopies to find out where I was bleeding and stumbled on this. I don’t feel unwell with eating but I’m hoping my energy levels will improve with the changes.

It’s just another thing to learn to cope with, I think once I understand it properly and get into the swing of it it’ll get easier. I definitely hope so.

Take care.

Cath x

Hi

I have remitting relapsing and was told 6 years ago. My brother has progressive stage 2 and at the moment I am trying to introduce him to gluten free items.

My husband is gluten intolerant.

I have changed to gluten free items and although they are more expensive I have found a difference. We have brought a bread maker and have been making our own gluten free bread. The only problem we have is keeping it fresh. First day it is lovely and then the second day it is better toasted. If anyone has any ideas how to keep it fresh it would be great knowing.

We also use the frozen pizzas. We normally buy a frozen free from peperoni and add extras to this. They do also frozen pastry however I have used the short crust one to make a quiche and found it a nightmare to roll out.

I do agree with Cath, the sauces are so expensive the Free From ranges are getting better. The crumpets are nice toasted. Birds eye also do a Free From Fish Fingers. The shelf life on items is also a night mare.

I find Asda, Tesco, Sainsbury and Waitrose the better for Gluten Free Items. Tesco/Asda being the cheaper. It is bad enough having one illness but when you end up with the gluten free illness it is just about enough.

x

1 Like

Thanks Helen, I’m still eating normally as suggested by my gp until I’ve seen the dietician. I’m doing all the book work and sourcing ingredients etc. So far ASDA is winning in my book too. I’ve made my own bread a few times at home and found that even normal bread doesn’t keep. I’m also interested if anyone has ideas on keeping it fresh if you have any please.

I had a suggestion from Spacejacket to use it for breadcrumbs but I’d also like to be able to eat it for more than 2 days. Some of the recipes I’ve found for pastry and very quick loaves sound promising. They don’t keep but I’m sure I read that you can freeze them to finish the cooking once they’ve defrosted.

Cath x

I’ve never used a bread maker but I do know that when prepared dough will keep in a fridge for a few days. Just place the dough in a poly bag or wrap in cling and keep in fridge, cut off daily as much as you want and bake. It would mean baking it every day but there’s nothing better than hot fresh bread straight from the oven

I’m told you can freeze uncooked bread dough as well but as I haven’t tried it I can’t recommend it.

Jan x

1 Like

Thanks Jan. I have a bread maker so will try both that and oven baked when my diet kicks in and compare them. I’ll let you know how I get on.

Cath x

1 Like

Celiac disease is a chronic digestive and immune disorder that damages the small intestine. This disease is triggered by eating foods containing gluten. This disease can cause long-term digestive problems and prevent your body from getting all the nutrients it needs.

If you have celiac disease, you can eat the following foods, which naturally do not contain gluten:
Celiac disease diet contains:
most dairy products, such as cheese, butter and milk.
fruits and vegetables.
meat and fish (although not breaded or battered)
potatoes.
rice and rice noodles.
gluten-free flours, including rice, corn, soy and potato flour
What are the celiac disease symptoms?
Bloating
Chronic diarrhea.
Constipation.
Gas
Lactose intolerance due to damage to the small intestine.
Loose, greasy, heavy, and foul-smelling stools.
Nausea or vomiting.
Stomach pain.
A biopsy can help confirm the celiac disease diagnosis. A thin, flexible tube with a light and a camera at one end (endoscope) is inserted into your mouth and into your small intestine. Before the procedure, you will be given a local anesthetic to numb your throat and possibly a sedative to help you relax.