Feeling poorly :(

I’ve been struggling since I held a Cake Break on 3 May (raised £265 btw, big whoop!), and totally wore myself out as I’m still recovering from a relapse in March. Last week, all I did was work and sleep. Our evening meal was eaten at anywhere between 7pm and 8pm as I kept sleeping through my evening alarm and my son will just sit around waiting for me to cook!! He is helpful with anything physical but is useless at cooking so will just eat crisps and chocolate if I’m not about! I couldn’t wake up in the mornings and was even a few minutes late for work on a couple of occasions.

On Friday, I had to stay up after finishing work as the plumber was coming round to fit a new shower so we had an earlier tea and I went to bed at 6pm with the beginnings of a headache. I woke at 9am Saturday morning with a thumping head and took a shower but ended up hot and dizzy so had to sit on the bathroom floor and drip dry to cool off. I did manage to put some washing on but ended up back in bed within a couple of hours as I kept going dizzy every time I stood up.

I’m off work today as I still have a headache and am still weak. The hot, dizzy feeling persisted all yesterday and all I did was sleep. I’m still in bed now, using my laptop, as I can only manage to nip to the loo and that is a struggle.

I don’t know if this is a migraine because I allowed myself to get overtired, a virus or the MS. Whichever it is, I’m stuck in bed until I can start eating again and build up some strength.

Sorry for the moan, I can’t find much to smile about today as I’m feeling so pants. :frowning: Why, oh why, do I always allow myself to do too much and make myself poorly?!

Tracey x

Bless ya Tracey, if it makes you feel any better, reading this was for me just like reading a page out of my life too. You are not alone in this and the symptoms you describe is ‘me to a tee’.

Rest up, take whatever meds help, sleep lots and when you’re feeling better don’t do it again! (although we both know that you most probably will anyway! :wink:

Hope you feel much better soon.

Hugs.

Steve. xx

Thanks Steve

It doesn’t seem possible that just 5 years ago I used to be up at 8am on a Saturday, have washing out on the line by 9am, have the house cleaned thoroughly by late morning, mow the grass, work on my little allotment growing my own veg, cook a healthy dinner and still have time to relax a bit throughout the day. That was on the days that son visited his dad. Of course if Jamie was at home it was a quick hoover and dust and then play football with him all day or tennis or whatever was flavour of the month! Either way I didn’t sit down much until bedtime. Now it’s just rest, rest and more rest!

Talking of which, time for another little nap :wink:

Thanks for answering, glad it’s not just me

Tracey x

Well done Tracey for raising £265 that’s brilliant. It’s a shame though when we do anymore than what we are used to we become exhausted and feel like cr*p! I hope you feel better soon, dizziness is my main symptom and its awful! Rest up plenty and take care. Sending hugs x

Honestly you could be my long lost-twin! I love to keep myself busy and would previously have been up and about waiting for the neighbours to wake up so I could make more noise and cut the grass, build something, drill into walls etc. I’ve never been one for really late nights but when the birds are up, that’s my cue!

These days however things are very much different. I’ve never known myself be able to sleep the hours that I can now. It’s insane! If I’m not resting, I’m sleeping and when I do have enough energy to do something I probably go into overkill and do too much then suffer afterwards but, in my eyes; “I used to do this much, surely I still can!!!.. Can’t I!!!”

I never seem to have enough time for everything I need to get done and having to rest so much seems all too counter-productive (even though I know it is now VERY much necessary!)

Anyway, I hope you’re back on your feet soon so you can do it all again! :slight_smile:

Just try and ease up a little so that you can make some time for yourself as well when you are feeling better.

Take care. Steve. xx

Thanks for your replies, slept constantly since writing that last post.

Mini78 - do you take anything for the dizziness 'cos if this doesn’t go away I’m going to have to struggle to the doctor’s?

Steve - yeah, I keep harking back to the good ol’ days when I used to get so much done and I forget I can’t do that now. The trouble is on a good day I still try. I knew I wasn’t well enough to do the Cake Break but I’ve done it for the past 3 years and don’t like to let the side down!

Ah well, I’ve staggered downstairs for a glass of squash, sat on the floor before I fell down as I came over dizzy again (!), grabbed a packet of crisps and crawled back to bed on my hands and knees. There’s not much in the cupboards as I should’ve done the grocery shopping yesterday and even if there was, I can’t stand long enough to cook anything! Not sure how I’m going to get better on crisps and squash? Just keep hoping this thing burns itself out and leaves me alone soon …

Take care

Tracey x

Aw Tracey hunny!

You will have to learn to pace yourself. Working, being a mum and having MS is just tooo much…take care now, yeh?

luv Pollx

I’m feeling better today, the headache and dizziness has gone. I’m still weak but managed some breakfast and am taking it slowly. For once I did the sensible thing and called in sick again to give myself time to recover properly - I usually struggle into work as soon as I’m on the mend and make myself worse. Work will just have to manage without me, it will do them good to remember that I can’t always struggle in, I worked through the relapse in March which probably wasn’t the best decision I could have made but the steroids meant I couldn’t rest anyway ;-).

I still need to buy in some groceries and iron some work clothes for a start. Need to have words with my son as well as he didn’t even clear his own dishes from Saturday night when he had supper after getting in from work at 10 pm!

Tracey x

Order your groceries online and mist your clothes and hang them up to dry straight !! Rest, rest and rest some more !! And try my chocolate therapy !! Xx

Well done on not rushing back. Take it easy and still get plenty of rest.

I agree with MrsH, order shopping from the comfort of your sofa. Think rest less stress!

Hugs.

xx

Hiya Tracey Unfortunately there is only Stemitil available as a med that I’m aware of and it doesn’t work for me although everyone’s different. There is also the option of exercises which worked for me initially then I had another relapse and now they don’t work so well, search “Vestibular Rehab” or ask your MS nurse. Its an awful symptom to live with, I hope you find something that works for you, good luck and take care Mini x

Ha ha ha, I didn’t get time to read those last replies as I was too busy at the supermarket and then ironing! I’m sorry I can’t sit still once I’m a bit better :-). I didn’t do loads of shopping, just enough to last a couple of days. Gave son an ear bashing and he tidied up while I was out, wonders will never cease! I always sit down to iron and catch up with TV online so that’s quite relaxing. My mum brought me up to iron everything but she would have a fit if she saw the way I do it now - most things are skimmed over, anything nylon or fleecy doesn’t get ironed at all, even T shirts only get ironed on one side and I rely on the steam to go through to the other side!!

I went into work today and it’s just as well I did as, when I am off work, my job is covered by two women who each do part of the work and should work as a team. However, one of them was trying to do her best for me and the other one was just piling up paperwork and not passing it on, they even ended up having a snipe at each other, so my desk was a right mess!! I do keep trying to point out to management that there is no knowing when I could be off for a month again (like the serious relapse 4 years ago) but they have never sorted out any proper cover for my role. That’s not my problem but it’s awful going back in and finding heaps of paperwork that needs sorting before you can work out what’s what. These days, I refuse to stress about it and I just plod through it methodically and it takes as long as it takes …

Anyway, mystery solved re the illness. Late yesterday, my nose started streaming so it turns out to be a cold. There does seem to be a virus going round the school and several parents have reported their children are dizzy with it. Thanks for cheering me up while I was confined to bed, I think I would have gone insane if I had had no-one to share with. I used to ring my mum and chat to her for hours - I don’t think there’ll ever be a time when I don’t miss her but whenever I’m ill I just want my mum just like when I was little :-).

Thanks again

Tracey xx

Glad you’re feeling better Tracey x

Glad to hear your feeling better Tracey, try to take it easy though! I know what you mean about your mum, mine passed away when I was 16 and ever since my dx I have wanted nothing more than a cuddle! Take care of yourself Laura x

Hi Tracey - enjoyed reading this thread sort of if you know what I mean. Seems to me you try always to do your very best and sometimes too much. My tip is microwave meals for when you don’t have the energy to cook from scratch. Hugs Min xx

Hi Min

Thank you. I do buy ready meals for a couple of nights a week but I try to eat healthily too so I always buy the better quality ready meals and not the ‘value’ range. It’s obviously cheaper to cook proper meat and two veg if I have the energy so I try to think of decent meals that don’t take a lot of energy to cook. My slow cooker is useful for this but means getting up a bit earlier in the morning which is a problem in itself :(.

Anyway I am much better now, I just have the barking cough, the ever present fatigue and I’m only a little wobbly which is fairly normal. Next week is half term so I can do things at my own pace. Yippee :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: Can you tell I’m looking forward to it?! My goal is always to get through each half term at a time …

Tracey x

Hi Min

Thank you. I do buy ready meals for a couple of nights a week but I try to eat healthily too so I always buy the better quality ready meals and not the ‘value’ range. It’s obviously cheaper to cook proper meat and two veg if I have the energy so I try to think of decent meals that don’t take a lot of energy to cook. My slow cooker is useful for this but means getting up a bit earlier in the morning which is a problem in itself :(.

Anyway I am much better now, I just have the barking cough, the ever present fatigue and I’m only a little wobbly which is fairly normal. Next week is half term so I can do things at my own pace. Yippee :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: Can you tell I’m looking forward to it?! My goal is always to get through each half term at a time …

Tracey x

Hi Min

Tracey x

Well the internet was on a go-slow and then it appeared 3 times. I promise I didn’t click Post 3 times!!