Experiences with exercise?

Thanks Hobs, that looks ideal and is about what we expected to pay, Let you know how I get on,they’ve got it in stock at every Argos within 30 mile radius! It’s got pretty good reviews too…plus can save a whole £! lol

Your welcome, good luck with it

Oh also you can lock your legs straight and have bar close to your chest and keep it there then lean forwards and lean back which will work more of core muscles.

Rachael084

I do belly dancing and I am convinced it has kept me going for the 8 years I’ve been doing it. My posture is better and because its not high impact you don’t get very fatigued. Now saying that, you try shimmying for several minutes and your legs will hate you. I think because it teaches you about isolation of body parts, it’s like it helps me keep everything under control.

My teacher suffered from ME for years until she tried belly dancing as a way to get good exercise without jumping about and she has never looked back.

(and ok - the gym helps too )

JBK x

For Rachel084, a cross trainer has been brilliant for me. As I said right at the beginning of the thread, I am quite disabled and I think I would struggle to get on and off a rowing machine. I sometimes have a bit of a problem getting off the cross trainer, and, even from the higher footrest, that’s only stepping down about 8 inches!

It’s been really interesting reading about everyone’s exercise regime. I used to swim several times a week and cycle everywhere but I can’t do either of these any more. But I’m still determined to find ways to exercise - I will be talking to my physio about whether I might be able to use a Gym Ball and/or a Powerplate machine.

Hi I currently exercise around five times a week. I do an otago class for an hour on a Monday then attend the gym around four times a week too. I was a regular gym goer until I had a big relapse in October 2012 which meant I was unable to exercise at all for four months. When I returned to the gym I couldn’t use the treadmill at all because of foot drop and only managed 10 minutes on the cross trainer and 10 minutes on the bike which was a far cry from my usual hour long workout. I have gradually built that back up so that I am now able to do about 50 minutes using the treadmill, cross trainer and bike. I believe it has a dramatic effect on my energy levels and find I am far more tired when I am unable to get to the gym. I am by no means back to the fitness level I had before relapse but I’m getting close. I don’t know if this can be attributed to the exercise or if I would have gotten better anyway but I am determined to continue exercising as long as I possibly can. I came to exercising and fitness quite late in life and was just building up to a little bit of running when the relapse hit and put paid to that. I may never run again but there are plenty other ways to exercise other than running. I feel that exercising and the gym is one of the most positive aspects of my life and that it is one of the most important things I can do to help keep myself as healthy as I possibly can be for as long as I possibly can be. Ann Marie xxx

Glad to see that so many of us are doing our best to keep fit. Every little helps. There is no way l could get down onto a rowing machine - let alone get back off it. But l do have a Pilates Rowing Action Exercisor by Bally B Fit gear. lt fits into a small shoe box size - so will not take up precious space. The benefits of it is - that you can lie on your bed to use it as well as on the floor -or even standing up. Tightens Abs/thighs/buttocks strengthens backs. You slip your feet into the foot supporters - and pull up on the strong resistance tubing by the cushion grip handles. l had forgotten l had this - dusted it off this morning!! l was advised to have one after breaking my ankle and needed to get fitter.

l think l might have bought it from Argos or Amazon - it was quite cheap anyway.