Erythromelalgia

I am back on the horse, so to speak, and going through the motions with diagnostics at my local VA hospital. I am a veteran of the US Navy. I am a 33 year old female and I began to have symptoms in my late twenties, but I just figured they were a result of stress or something. One symptom that my first doctor misdiagnosed was what he thought was Raynaud’s Phenomena. I frequently have attacks in my hands, feet and face of intense heat, reddening of my skin, and incredible pain. It is sometimes accompanied by swelling. My coworkers and family have witnessed these episodes and have expressed how disconcerting it was even for them. Recently I discovered this condition called erythromelalgia. I had never heard of it before but it came up when I searched my symptoms after my most recent attack. Everything fit, unlike Raynaud’s. I mentioned it to my doctor and she agreed that erythromelalgia made a lot more sense. Does anyone else suffer from this issue? I have a lot of other symptoms that are being evaluated in the next few weeks, including a urodynamics test, and an EMG to look into the urological symptoms I have been having that are quite embarrassing and the peripheral neuropathy I experience in my hands and feet.

i have been healthy and fit my whole life and so these issues are quite frustrating to face…

-Britt

hiya

i had never heard of it either until recently!

ellie

1 Like

Gabapentin helps take the edge off, other than that I have to put my hands under cold water and pray it helps stop it.