Forum

Environmental impact

Hi there !
I’m brand new here and would like to pick your guys’ brains! :grin: So, I’m 43 and lived in the same home from 3 to 17 in a brand new track of houses. Fast forward to now, my mother , direct nextdoor neighbor, a close friend the next block over and myself, have all been diagnosed with MS. That’s alot in such a short area, I’m feeling more and more it’s an environmental thing. I spent everyday if my child hood at the park, climbing the small mountains around us or poolside in my own backyard. Most of my friends , including the two mentioned, were right beside me. What are others thoughts as far as it being an environmental cause? I can’t help but think it wasn’t just a bad dealt hand. Any thoughts ?

Statistical anomaly? Obviously it’s possible. For you to have MS when a direct descendant has it, you had a 1 in 67 chance of contracting it. The others are all random but it would be earth-shattering if an environmental connection could be made. I’ve certainly not read anything like that. Apart from direct descendants (and even aunts, uncles, grandparents are statistically irrelevant if mother or father don’t have it), the only other susceptibilities have shown a link to autoimmune conditions such as Glandular fever, low vitamin D etc.

1 Like

We tend to think that random is more evenly spread than it typically is. Random can cluster, and that is a counterintuitive brain-scrambler. Which isn’t to say there isn’t a common cause - just that clusters are not always as suspicious as they look to minds like human ones that are hard-wired to spot patterns.

1 Like

I know 7 people in the ast village I lived in with MS and 4 in the previous one 3/4 of a mile away, as the crow flies and the wind blows…guess you can imagine what I think! Not in any way related, but one was my next door neighbour too! I know a professor at local uni did investigate this but lost his funding.

1 Like

I know 7 people in the ast village I lived in with MS and 4 in the previous one 3/4 of a mile away, as the crow flies and the wind blows…guess you can imagine what I think! Not in any way related, but one was my next door neighbour too! I know a professor at local uni did investigate this but lost his funding.

1 Like

Thank you for all the responses . Im just still trying to wrap my mind around they how and why’s of it, all the while knowing, I will likely never have the answers. I appreciate the time taken to respond . Take care everyone !

1 Like

Thank you so much.