Emergency Relapse Clinic

So I appear to have had a bad relapse. after a barrage of tests, GP appointments, increases in medication and 3 telephone appointments with my MSNurse team, they have booked me an appointment at the Emergency Relapse Clinic. Not sure what to expect. Anyone got any advice and can tell me to expect?

1 Like

Never heard of one of those. It sounds like a good idea, though. my guess would be that it’s a fast track route to being examined to see if you need high dose steroids in a hurry. But that’s purely a guess.

1 Like

I went straight to A&E early last year, when I was having a heavy MS relapse, hoping to get a prednisolone top-up asap.
I was given the option of having the steroid intravenous now or come back to the Emergency Relapse Clinic, the following week, to have it.
Well if I’ve already presented myself at A&E with a heavy relapse today, in what state will I be by next week? Hence I opted for the steroid now, rather than waiting for next week: you know when you need it asap. :love_hotel:

1 Like

I’m nearly a couple of weeks since this started and it has improved slightly. I’m probably too late for the emergency treatment and I suspect as I am improving, albeit slowly, I’ll probably not get anything except advice.

2 Likes

Yes it’s true steroids only speed up the recovery from a relapse, you do get better naturally in time.
I only go A&E and not that often, when I’m really struggling even to use my limbs due to heavy relapse.
It’s just I’ve been given the runaround b4, trying to obtain the prednisolone, when it’s only available from a hospital; best regards.

Turns out the Emergency relapse clinic is just an emergency appointment with an available Neurologist. That said, it was probably the best appointment I have ever had with a Neurologist. About 45 mins and we discussed the past, present and future. I feel there are more tests to come, including another MRI but at least I now appear to be on their radar again and not just left to get on with it alone.

1 Like

Hi,
My GP prescribes Prednisolone for me when Im having a relapse. I normally call my MS nurse who then contacts the GP asking them to prescribe the drug.
Good Luck

It’s been a while now since I last had oral prednisolone via GP prescription and that was an ordeal trying obtain it:
hospital fax prescription to GP → scramble to find oral steroid at any local pharmacist → end up taking prescription back to hospital who can dispense oral prednisolone.