Hi all, Just wanted to find out how people getting on with driving (if you drive). Ive got an automatic car, but now my legs are numb apparently drivings a no no and Im really missing my car!!

Am currently waiting for a driving assessment (thru GP referral). I still can use my left foot but the accelerator is a problem at the moment. I’m not sure about this, but I think there are mobility cars available with hand controls, I’m sure others will have more info for you. It’s hard to be without a car isn’t it… Good luck…Cxx

Hi Getting hand controls is the way to go. There’s a whole range of different types you can get (the ricability website has a good guide - http://www.ricability.org.uk/consumer_reports/mobility_reports/car_controls/primary_controls/). The most basic type of control is a push/pull lever for the brake & accelerator. It sits at the bottom right of the steering wheel, and is linked directly to the pedals. All you do is pull to accelerate and push to brake. You can also get a little switch attached to it for the indicator. Then you get a steering ball attached ot the steering wheel, so you can steer one-handed with the other hand. I use these and I find driving with it very intuitive. They can be fitted to any car, and anyone else who drives the car will still be able to drive as normal. If you get high rate mobility component of DLA, you’ll qualify for Motability. If you decide to get a new car with them you can have the basic types of control fitted for no extra cost. But if you want to keep your own car then you can pay to have the controls fitted privately. Motability (or your local MS Society branch) may be able to provide a grant to pay for them. There are also several mobility centres around the country where you can have an assessment to see what would be the best solution for you (http://www.mobility-centres.org.uk/). It costs a bit, but if you’re eligible for Motability they can pay for you. I had one done - I got to try out three different types of control, and it was a very useful experience. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Dan

HI Thanks for the info I havent thought of that with regard driving. Since I deteriorated fast I sold my car because I knew I couldnt drive with numbness worse double vision etc. However its great to see options are there because I miss the independence but when the time is right and GP gives the all clear do you know if the car insurance is expensive because of MS, as it should be cheap as Ive driven over 10 years with full no claim bonus. Hope Im making sense

I’m pretty certain car insurance shouldn’t be any more expensive, and if they do increase the premium then that’s discrimination. If you’re fit to drive then you’re fit to drive, so having MS shouldn’t make you any more of an insurance risk. You just have a legal requirement to inform the insurance company that you have MS, as well as the DVLA of course. Dan

hi i told my insurance about my m.s. and they just sended me new insurance paper out stating i disclosed my medical conditiion as m.s. they didnt charge me anything more . costs are still the same . tina x.

hi thaks for replies yes it would be discrimination if charged more for illness didnt think of that all the best :smiley: