Forum

Driving licence

Hi all,

my insurance on car runs out in november,and as yet i havent notified DVLA about my condition, i know i really ought to!!. what are insurance quotes like when you notify insurance company?,do they rip you off or do they stay fairly simular?, also when you hire a car home/abroad do you have to tell hire company?..

Thanks Lee

Hi I have just informed dvla and told my insurance company and it hasn’t affected my price for insurance

I’m in Ireland but I notified the licencing authority here and my insurance company and it made no difference to my premium at all.

You really need to let them know because you’re as good as uninsured by not notifying the DVLA and your insurer.

Made no difference to mine either. Purely a legal obligation. Mind, when I sold my car because I could no longer safely drive by my own assessment, they charged me £59 for the privilege. Mad as a box of frogs was I not ?!!

From what I can see most insurance companies do not load your premium much if at all for MS if you are passed fit to drive by DLVA.
However MS is clearly something that may affect your driving abilities in the longer term so if you do not notify DVLA it may be arguable that you do not have a valid driving licence and therefore that could possibly invalidate any motor insurance, that may happen anyway if you have not informed your insurance company about MS.
My experience is DVLA are slow bureaucratic and a pain to deal with, however it is extremely unlikely they will pull your licence whilst you feel fit to drive. The only exception to this is recently they do seem to be pulling licences on the basis of certain prescribed drugs that some experts disagree about concerning their effect on driving. However even if that were to happen you would still have the choice of doing without the problem drug to retain your driving licence

Hi

You’re legally required to tell the DVLA, so you must tell them immediately. There’s a medical questionnaire you’ll need to fill out for them, then several months later (and that’s not an exaggeration - they really can take months) they’ll probably issue you with a 3 year licence which you need to renew every 3 years.

You also need to tell your insurance company straight away too, as failureto do so could invalidate your insurance. There’s been several threads on the boards about whether or not you need to tell them or just the DVLA, with different people adamant either way. But it’s always better to be safe than sorry - running the risk of invalidating your insurance isn’t worth it. However, my understanding is that they cannot increase your premium as a result of MS.

Hope that helps

Dan

Like Dan says its a legal requirement. It can also incur a costly fine, not to mention invalidating your insurance. DVLA got back to me pretty quick though. Revoked my license but I wasn’t surprised because like MrsH I’d already assessed myself as being unsafe.

[quote=he_funk]

Hi

You’re legally required to tell the DVLA, so you must tell them immediately. There’s a medical questionnaire you’ll need to fill out for them, then several months later (and that’s not an exaggeration - they really can take months) they’ll probably issue you with a 3 year licence which you need to renew every 3 years.

You also need to tell your insurance company straight away too, as failureto do so could invalidate your insurance. There’s been several threads on the boards about whether or not you need to tell them or just the DVLA, with different people adamant either way. But it’s always better to be safe than sorry - running the risk of invalidating your insurance isn’t worth it. However, my understanding is that they cannot increase your premium as a result of MS.

Hope that helps. You should tell DVLA. Have just been phoning round for quotes as my car insurance is up for renewal. Some companies do ask the question about medical conditions whilst others do not. I have another medical condition apart from m.s. and whilst this is notifiable to the DVLA some insurance companies don’t want to know about it. Don’t assume becasue it’s on a list of notifiable conditions for DVLA it is also on a list of notifiable conditions for some Insurance companies.

YOU are legally obliged to inform DVLA of your diagnosis,and if you are issued a licence by DVLA,you must inform the insurance company of your diagnosis,but legally THEY cannot increase your premium because of it.

Be lucky,

Wb

Hi, yes like Woblyboy says you must inform DVLA and your insurance company. Providing the DVLA issue you a licence (even a 3 year one) insurance companies CANNOT charge you more, this would be discrimination. The only condition I know of which the DVLA may issue a licence for & insurance companies may refuse to cover is Epilepsy as it is so spontaneous.I have worked in insurance for 20 years until recently. Hope that helps Kate xx

For now, why not just write a very simple letter to dvla, just a couple of lines send it recorded delivery so you have proof you have notified them, you’ll need to fill in forms but if you just write a simple letter you have done all you need for now. When you renew insurance you can tell them you have written to dvla. Cheryl:-)

Hello Lee. If you have a printer then do what I did. Go to the DVLA website. Download form CN1…confidential medical information…address where to send it is on the form…keep a copy. Job Done!!

I did the same as Blossom. Go to DVLA website. Printed and completed the form and sent it to them. It may be months before they make their decision but as long as your GP and neuro confirm you are safe to drive then you will receive the standard 3 year licence.

You will need to tell your insurers also as it is a material fact that could affect your driving and if it contributes to an accident and they are not aware, they could invalidate your insurance and refuse to pay out. Better safe than sorry. They cannot charge you extra premiums as this is discrimination. In fact most do not ask for details of your medical condition, you can just say you have notified DVLA and are still okay to drive.

Tracey x