Double Vision - Occlusive Contact Lens

I have had double vision since June 2015. My ophthalmologist advised I get an occlusive contact lens (to block the sight from my eye). I currently wear glasses and have prisms I can attach.

As the lens would cost £300 does anyone know if it would be available on the NHS?

You can try:

and also:

If you need a black lens, you will end up with what looks like a very large pupil in that eye, or have to get a hand-painted lens.
If you can stand brighter light, think about a frosted occluder so that both eyes get the same amount of light (reduces eyestrain).

You can test the occluder concept for yourself very easily. Buy a cheap pair of reading glasses, knock out the lens for the good eye, and turn the other one opaque with some sandpaper.

Then come back here and tell how it works. There are a lot of folk here with diplopia.

Geoff

Hi. I had a black lense made 5 years ago when I had double vision and wasn’t very happy with the result. It cost me £180 and looked quite odd having a huge black pupil which was stuck in one position (as the muscle wasn’t working my eye didn’t move). Don’t know if your problem is the same but it’s something to consider if it is. Good luck and hope it improves soon.

Thank you Geoff.

I have extremely bad vision without the double vision on top of it. So if I got a cheap pair of reading glasses to test, I wouldn’t be able to see anyway, but thank you for your suggestion.

I will speak to Vision Express. Specsavers didn’t know what I was talking about and a private opticians quoted me over £300 for one.

My Ophthalmologist is now referring me to Moorfields Hospital in London for a second opinion.

Thank you Noodle!

I got my lense from Specsavers. Like you they didn’t know what I was talking about at first but when I spoke to the contact lense optician he was very understanding and agreed to have the lense made for me. My double vision lasted about 7 months, but it took about 12 months for my eye to completely return to normal. It was the longest year of my life but all is well now :slight_smile:

Hello, I don’t have MS and I hoping you don’t mind me commenting on your post. I do however have intractable diplopia. I have been told i need an occlusion lens but am really struggling as to where to get one from. Can anyone help on this front and what sort of costs are they, please?

Many thanks

Hi

I suffer with double vision and have split lens in my glasses they do look unusual but they do help.

Sye.