Disability.

Does ms always mean disability?

Depends what you mean by “disability”? Not always disability that’s apparent to others, no. It probably always makes life tougher than it would be otherwise, though.

I’ve been diagnosed 2 years+, and think I’ve had it many more years than that. I don’t think anyone looking at me would think me “disabled”, and I have trouble thinking of myself as “disabled”. But there’s no doubt some things are much harder than they used to be, and much harder than for most people my age. It doesn’t necessarily mean I can’t do them, but they may be a lot more tiring or uncomfortable. I suppose that IS a disability, but an invisible one. Certainly not everyone has sticks, crutches or wheelchairs.

Tina

I suppose the term ‘disability’ is so broad that it difficult to define. As part of my voluntary work I quite often help people fill in health forms and one of the questions is “Disabled:- YES / NO?” - I always ask them if they consider themselves to be disabled? - sometimes you get people who are on medication for high blood pressure or high cholesterol who consider themselves disabled, or one lady who was on iron tablets for anaemia, on the other hand I’ve spoken with people who may look like they have a ‘disability’ (eg using a stick) but they circle the NO response… So all depends on the individual…

I have MS, walk with a crutch and foot splint, I have other health problems and yes, I consider myself disabled - the criteria I apply to myself is simply the fact that I claim and qualify for DLA.

Carrie

I am the same as Anitra, only recently been diagnosed but had my first episode, attack? Not sure what the correct terminology is, in 1994, so I have had this a long time. I went on to run competaively at an athletics club from about 2004 until 2011, and only stoped because of work comitments, I fully intend to start again next year. No Seb Coe but 10K in 41 1/2 minutes (2006) I don’t think is too shabby. I know at this moment in time I am very lucky but, to answer your question, in my humble opinion, no, MS does not always mean disability. But, sadly for many, it does.

Good question! I had spinal injuries after an RTA 16 years ago - that I would say left me with an ‘impairment’ rather than disabled - I coul dstill function and get on with my life with a few adjustments

However in the 4/5 years I’ve been experiencing the MS like symptoms - severe fatigue, heat intolerance, muscle stiffness & spasms in my leg and round my torso etc - I would say they are disabling! Thay literally stop me functioning! xxxjenxxx

Ditto, Jen. And I was awarded a Blue badge for the car. So I guess that says it all really. It is certainly highly unlikely, without a Lazarus type moment, that I will climb a mountain ever again, a fact which I find very distressing. But then I console myself with the thought that at least I’ve seen the views from most of the Lake districts highest peaks, which is more than most people have and also, no more camping in December. Hotels all the way from now on. Anyone want a tent??!!