Diet and Food Supplements

That made me grin !!

The only reason that I take the flaxseed oil instead of omega 3 fish oil is because I’m allergic to fish so can only have the flaxseed oil. But since being on flaxseed oil (been on it for over a year) my nails have grown and are in a really good condition and everyone always comments on how shiny my hair is and asks whats my secret!! So I think there are some noticeable benefits to flaxseed oil. Since taking the supplements I have felt much better in general health. Quick question Bea - do you get your bloods monitored every 3 months for vitamin d levels?

Hello Mareike (and Forum),

First comment on the forum :slight_smile:

I was also diagnosed in Dec 2012 (just before Christmas, actually!) with MS. Like many of the respondents made reference to, there are several parties that advocate a particular diet.

I’ve just finished reading my first book on MS; ‘Overcoming MS’ by George Jelinek. The core element of the book (without going much into detail) is the Swank work/diet. Among other things it suggests that one should not intake more than 15grms of saturated fat per day. Its certainly interesting, whether one has MS or not.

I have been following this diet and considering that I have continued to exercise regularly, no detrimental impact has been noted. If anything, body fat reduced further. And actually, there’s an added benefit - you actually feel good with youself for eating healthy.

Overall (and conscious that diets impact people differently), I just wish my Neurologist had mentioned some of the stuff that has been discussed above (by Bea and Katrina) - even if it was just to raise some consideration and then leave me to make a call on what to do…

Ivan