Diagnosed? So confused

I was diagnosed with CIS in November last year with a 50/50 chance of another occurrence. I called the MS nurses in September as I had a real pain and heavyness in my leg. She referred me back to the neurologist. I’ve been to see him today. He thinks I have had another occurence. From the examination my leg is weaker. He said it would be diagnosed as MS. He has referred me for another MRI and a LP. I asked what if the MRI didn’t show a lesion. He said it wouldn’t change the diagnosis. He mentioned treatments I would be eligible for and the MS nurse would get in contact with me and I am to see him again in 6 months. From what be said I think I have been diagnosed? I was alone and trying to take in all the information but I’m just concentrating on the Fact he didnt say in the exact words ‘You have MS’. Any help? Should I get a letter?

Hi Becky,

Yes it is confusing but it looks like you have been diagnosed.

Unfortunately MRIs are not infallible. A vast majority; in fact nearly all NHS MRIs are only 1.5 Tesla; which is not a high resolution (picture) and lesions can be missed.

If it is for claiming ‘critical illnesses on your mortgage insurance I’m sure the Neurologist would then confirm your diagnosis.

Good luck

George

Thank you ggood. I just feel in limbo at the moment and don’t want to tell my employer, DVLA etc if It isn’t a firm diagnosis. I expect I’ll receive a copy of the letter he sends to my GP.

Hi guys, I was told I may have ms but now after a clear brain mri have been struck off the neurologist appointment list without anyone telling me why About 3 months ago i started with tingling in my arm that progressed to my leg then my face all down lefthandside within days. Within a week this turned to strong pains that seemed to transgress up and down my body sometimes lessening off then worsening again. Sleep was awful.Im now on amiltriptine x 20 mg which after 5 weeks has def improved the pain. However i need to sleep for 14 to 15 hrs a day and now have a black spot that the optician has refered me to eye hospital for. Over last week this has got bigger and if i look at text the middle bit loses colour and can be blurry or disappear altogether. Am so confused does this sound like ms i dont know where to go from here!!!

Hi guys, I was told I may have ms but now after a clear brain mri have been struck off the neurologist appointment list without anyone telling me why About 3 months ago i started with tingling in my arm that progressed to my leg then my face all down lefthandside within days. Within a week this turned to strong pains that seemed to transgress up and down my body sometimes lessening off then worsening again. Sleep was awful.Im now on amiltriptine x 20 mg which after 5 weeks has def improved the pain. However i need to sleep for 14 to 15 hrs a day and now have a black spot that the optician has refered me to eye hospital for. Over last week this has got bigger and if i look at text the middle bit loses colour and can be blurry or disappear altogether. Am so confused does this sound like ms i dont know where to go from here!!!

hi rachelscads

you should tell your gp about the new symptoms because it sounds to me like you need to be referred back to the neuro.

your eye problems could be optic neuritis which would very likely count as a relapse.

the eye hospital will know.

good luck

carole x

Thank you Carole, I will do its hard to get in to see the same GP regularly but I shall go back. Its just so scary feel unsure of the future and whats in store. I do think my symptoms are similar to others that have posted dont you? Thanks again