Forum

Correlating symptoms to site damage

Presumably specific symptoms correlate with damage/lesions at specific sites . Is there some kind of map that can be referenced for this. For example a left leg buckling, is that suggestive of a particular place in the Central Nervous System where a lesion is likely to be that brings on that symptom?

I have a spine lesion around C3 My neuro said that this lesion is more likely to be th cuase of my mobility and continence issues than the ones in my brain. Clarexxx

OK those are the issues I am mainly having, so does that suggest paying particular attention to C3 wherever that is?

hi my neuro told me exactly where he thought my lesions would appear according to my symptoms but the mri found only one lesion in brain but there are reasons why they may not show up, but he still discharged me. i would also be interested to find out what parts of the spine affect what part of the body. i did look it up about a year ago but unfortunately my brain doesn’t hold information like it used to. :cry: good luck mandy x

C3 is in the neck area. But please don’t take what I was told as a dx for your symptoms; What I was told was not a factoid just a supposition - the only people who can give you a dx are those pesky neuro types. Keep a symptom diary - I found it really helped me get a clearer picture of what I was experiencing and it acted as useful notes for me to refer to when i was with the medics. Clarexxx

Unfortunately, it’s not that simple. Certain symptoms can only be caused by lesions in particular places, but many can’t be narrowed down so easily. For example, nystagmus is associated with a lesion in the cerebellum, but poor balance might be caused by a spinal lesion, damage to the cerebellum or to one of several different places in the cerebrum. One of the reasons that it’s not straightforward is that most actions and behaviours rely on multiple areas of the nervous system working together. Damage to any one of those, or to any bit of any pathway between them, can affect the action/behaviour. If it helps, my neuro told me last year that my knee buckling thing was probably a spinal lesion. Whether or not that’s true I have no idea though! (And I suspect there are other possible explanations, like a lesion in the parietal lobe or prefrontal lobe - where actions and motor programmes are stored - or in the pathway from that/those areas to the spinal cord.) Sorry to probably make things even more confusing! Karen x

Its more a case of making a curious supposition and then wanting to test it out Clare. I am just curious as to how well these things may or may not correlate or be capable of being mapped.

Thanks for that Karen, if only life was so simple!

mrbobowen wrote:

Its more a case of making a curious supposition and then wanting to test it out Clare. I am just curious as to how well these things may or may not correlate or be capable of being mapped.

I don’t think they are easily cross referenced or correlated; that would make life easy, and we wouldn’t want that now would we :lol: