Forum

Company announces mass redundancies

Well, I've posted previously that, a few weeks ago, I was told my role was "no longer budgeted for", and relieved of all my duties.

At that point, to all appearances, it was limited to "just me", so naturally, I took it personally, and worried I'd done something wrong - perhaps just hadn't tried quite hard enough, despite not being well.

It's now become clear my case is just the tip of the iceberg, and in fact, the company plans to get rid of hundreds!

Although this doesn't really change my situation, which was already vulnerable, one possible consequnce is that the company has to allow a much longer consultation period (90 days) if they're trying to get rid of so many.  If it were just me, I believe they could "fast-track" me to the door much quicker.  So I believe I might get an extra month or two protected salary out of it.  But that the end result will be the same.

I'm starting to feel quite fatalistic and resigned (with a small 'r'; I am NOT Resigning - I'm going to squeeze every last month I still can).

Tina

Will you be going down the redundancy or ill health retirement route.As being released appears inevitable which long term is financially the best option?

One week ago today is was told ill health retirement would be happening to me as they would not have me back.Scarry prospect isnt it when all you have ever known is work.

Hope you get the best deal possible.

Pip

Pip,

I’m afraid I haven’t got any ill health retirement provision., so that makes things pretty straightforward, if not exactly favourable.

Even if I had it, I don’t think I’d qualify anyway, as I haven’t even been off sick. It would be very hard to prove I’d become “permanently” unable to do my job (or any job), even though things are becoming subtly harder.

So redundancy may be the best and only offer I’m going to get.

I never envisaged working 'til state retirement age anyway; I believed my health made it unlikely, to say the least. But I wasn’t expecting to quit as soon as this, either.

I seriously question my ability to find alternative employment, as although I have no outward sign of disability, I have worked from home for over 10 years, and can’t imagine rejoining the daily rush-hour, to a “conventional” 9-5 job.

Tina

I know where your coming from. I know I couldnt do the type of work I have been doing for the last 25 yrs.

I have been in managerial positions for the last 18yrs and as such have completed loads of training but I know that I now find it hard to concentrate,get easily distracted and have the memory of a gnat....I dread the thought of trying to re-train and as what!!!!!

Who realistically is going to give a job to someone who has vision problems,has been medically retired and has no idea on a day to day basis if they will be awake or not...not to mention relapses.

Any ideas?

Pip

I'm sorry Tina, but also I know that you felt it was because you felt it was because you weren't up to the job (although you had absolutely no evidence of that), so now you know it was all part of a larger plan.

I had to give up work over six years ago, even before dx (at that time I had ME dx). It actually turned out to be huge relief. I had no idea I had been pushing myself so hard. Actually it ended in a bad case of shingles on my face and head which I think was a result of stress and fatigue from trying to work when I was so unwell.

I hope it all goes smoothly for you. Keep us informed.

Thinking of you love and wishing you well. 

Pat xx

Hi again, Pip,

No, I appreciate it was probably a rhetorical question, but sadly, no ideas.

I too dread “re-training”. Even though I may be open to it in principle, I cannot really see it working out. I have very low energy and motivation. The last time I did a nightclass, I found myself noticeably lagging behind the majority, even though my previous educational experience had usually seen me near the top of the class. I don’t think I’m getting thicker (well, I hope not), just tireder.

I found it a real struggle, and didn’t take pleasure in learning, like I used to. Admittedly, I think the teacher makes a huge difference. This particular teacher forced everyone to take turns in class, which was horrid if you didn’t know the answer, and were just waiting for your ignorance to be exposed! Very stressful!

If I did re-train, it clearly has to be a more supportive learning environment than that.

Tina

Thanks Pat,

Yes, that is one of the few positives about the whole thing. It’s becoming clearer by the minute that it was nothing personal to me, and I didn’t bring it on myself. I’m a natural worrier, and always look for my own part in whatever goes wrong - even when, sometimes, it wasn’t me at all, and there were much larger forces at work.

I don’t need to keep beating myself up that it all points to me being cr@p at my job, because obviously, there’s a wider agenda.

I’m trying to avoid naming the company, but it’s been in the news. We entered a huge contract which went wrong, and it’s rumoured we might have to write-off £957 million. Obviously, against that backdrop, it’s clear I had nothing to do with it. Even if I’d exhibited staggering incompetence, it wouldn’t even be a pinprick in that lot!

Tina

x

Tina, sorry for having a bit of a giggle darling.... but somehow I don't think you could possibly be responsible for £957 million loss!!! Staggering incompetence indeed happy...

Pat x

Hi Pat,

It’s fine, I can see the funny side myself. Obviously, when the shadow of redundancy first fell across my path, I had no idea of the wider context of the £957 m loss, so naturally assumed the entire blame for my predicament must rest with me.

The more evidence emerges, the clearer it is that we’re all up to our necks in alligators, and there’s nothing I personally could have done, to change things one way or the other.

The frightening thing is that even though I didn’t cause, or even contribute to the £957 m loss (a completely unrelated contract to any I have worked on), some person, or group of persons DID!

Either through fraud, or gross incompetence, or both, someone has managed to preside over one of the biggest losses ever seen in our sector.

Even if I’d spent my entire working life organising and attending “bunga bunga” parties, I wouldn’t be able to compete with that!

So at least I can try to take some relief from the horrible, gnawing feelings of guilt and failure. This crisis is massive, and had nothing to do with me. I’m just one of the people at the bottom, who will end up paying.

My colleagues and former boss might not be feeling quite so smug and secure at the moment, either. I think they thought they’d got away with it, because I’d already drawn the short straw. I’m now not sure anybody’s safe, and they might find there’s not such a big market for their services any more, either.

My boss has just moved to a brand new post! If we didn’t need it before, what are the chances they’ll still think it’s value for money now?

Tina

x

Tina

I ended up in the same senario , they then wanted to see if I wished to go into another project and see if there would be another job, it was then I realised that it was time to call it a day, and just took their lou of notice, good luck

Hi Tina

Sorry to hear your news today, however I get the impression that you are taking a bit of comfort from the fact that you being ousted from your post was nothing to do with you at all and the problems where you work run far deeper than anything you could have done. As you say your colleagues won’t feel so smug now!

I think you are right that this will have to go to a 90day consultation which will at least keep you there for another 90 days. Now I guess they will be looking to redeploy a lot of employees, I guess some people will instantly start looking for new jobs and will leave when they get something, this may leave positions vacant which need filled. Hang on in there, I’m guessing that with a 90 day consultation you will have a representative to speak for you.

Cheryl:-)