Can’t pass urine

Need some advice my husband 38 got diagnosed ppms in April this year was started on baclofen few months ago for tremors in legs they helped but past few weeks it come back with force they terrible nd now pat week he can’t wee it just won’t come out nd he shaking a way trying and sweating his socks of seeing continence team tomorrow but want to no are they just going out catheter in coz he don’t want it

i have days when i can’t wee.

thankfully i always have catheters in the house.

(that’s something i never expected to say to a virtual stranger!!)

intermittent self catheterisation made my cry when i was first told i had to do it,

now though i’m grateful for them.

hope your husband manages.


I can’t make my sphincters open on demand at all. That means I just cannot pass urine the ‘normal’ way.

When someone can’t wee, the answer is usually some form of catheter. It’s not always an indwelling catheter with a bag, although they might have to do that for a short time if he’s completely unable to pass any wee at all.

What I do, and what is possible for someone whose hands work OK is to do intermittent self catheterisation (ISC). This is what Carole is talking about.

Basically, it means you pass a sterile single use catheter into the urethra and up into the bladder. It doesn’t hurt and is quite easy to do. Men on the one hand have an easier job than women, because they can see the hole into which they are feeding the catheter. But on the other hand, it’s a longer journey from the end of the urethra to the bladder, plus (I am told) there is a spot where they have to kind of ‘push’ past the prostate, which is a bit in the way.

The reason they might have to put an indwelling catheter in initially is because it can take a few days to get set up with the equipment for ISC. Having an indwelling catheter means having a collection bag attached.

Another option if ISC doesn’t work well for your husband is a supra pubic catheter (SPC). This is a semipermanent catheter that is surgically placed through a hole in the abdomen. This usually also means having a bag attached.

A daytime urine collection bag is quite small and can be reasonably discreet, kept hidden under trousers. A night bag is then attached for overnight use.

Honestly, not being able to wee is worrying at first (the nurse would usually check for a urinary tract infection, just in case the problem is resolvable without catheters), but once you get a method of emptying your bladder sorted, it’s better than the reverse (ie incontinence).


So can he ask for the supra pubic one as he has chronic pain in groin area due to two testicular torsion so it was to painful

I’ve just answered you on the Everyday Living board. I think he should be able to ask for an SPC.


1 Like