Can i take diagnosis with clear mri and oligoclonal bands type 3?

Hi! Im 21 years old woman and I have symptoms of ms since 2018. I have done mutiple MRI and they are clear! Also I have done lumbar puncture and the results are oligoclonal bands type 3. Is it possible to get a diagnosis with negative mri and lumbar puncture with type 3 oligoclonal bands?

Hi,

My very limited understanding is that the bands are indicative of, but not restricted or limited to, MS. Please anyone else correct me if Iā€™m wrong?

I know thatā€™s probably not hugely helpful though.

Jx

1 Like

Hi Argie,

Unfortunately I donā€™t know a simple reply to your question. However, please keep on at your GP and Neuro if you have one. Keep insisting you want, need and deserve a satisfactory answer because ā€˜theyā€™ appear unconcerned and just repeat ā€œno evidenceā€. There is clearly something not right.
You are entitled to othersā€™ opinions, either by a different GP, Neuro or even a hospital.
The NHS is overwhelmed and can no longer cope - but that does not mean you have to accept their quick discharge of your case. What evidence do the professionals have to prove your symptoms are not a form of M.S?

Argie, just because you are young does not mean you can be fobbed off by a tick box exercise.
Youā€™re the age of my granddaughter & if she was in your situation Iā€™d be very angry at the lack of true care & investigations.
I had over 12 yrs of strange symptoms before I had the correct diagnosis of PPMS.

Although there is no treatment for me to slow ppms down, I feel I learned I should have voiced my concerns and avoided the 12 years of worry & feeling not believed & a hypochondriac.

Let us know how you get on. Good Luck.
Chrissie x

1 Like

Thank you for your response. I will follow your advice and look further to see what could be going on.

I understand that my question was not clear enough. Type 3 oligoclonal bands are present in serum and cerebrospinal fluid but are more abundant in cerebrospinal fluid. This can also mean ms but and other diseases. My symptoms are weak and heavy left side of body that sometimes goes numb, altered feeling like stepping on carpet, muscle spasms and a little drop of foot.