Buggies and buses

[quote=“susi”] [quote=MrsH]Hi Susi I kind of get both sides. Of course the disability group are right in that disabled individuals should be able to get access to public transport but, how on earth is this going to be enforced. As a friend of a bus driver, who already is subjected to daily abuse, why should he be in the position of asking people to move ? And why should the bus company be held liable ? They provide the transport but they don’t sell tickets for allocated seats in advance leaving disabled spaces free. It’s a difficult one. In an ideal world, people would have the grace and respect not to occupy designated seats but they do and without possible confrontation, I’m not sure how the transport company employees would get around it. I understand it is hard for drivers but I do believe that it has to be enforced somehow. Drivers who try should be rewarded and I really wish I had thought to write down a bus I’d number (where would that be?) so I could have written to tfl to thank the driver. Susi Xx [/quote] [/quote] Sorry, I wrote my reply I to the point from Mrs H. You can see I am a rare visitor now. I haven’t got to grips with this site since it changed - and that was ages ago!

[quote=“mickman”]

People can give up the space as a courtesy but they are not required to do so. The driver should request that the person using this space moves, if they have a buggy to fold it and put it in the luggage compartment.

I really think it should be made compulsory to give up this area for a wheelchair, if you do not get on a bus you may have to wait 30 minutes or one hour for the next one. Able-bodied people have around 50 seats to choose from, we have one area.

[/quote] It’s a similar vexed question as disabled bay and dis toilet (unless they are dual use) abuse. Susi

I can see both sides too. As a fairly recent buggy/bus user I did use the disabled space, but if ever anyone else needed it I would try to fold up my buggy and carry a baby and all my bags etc on my knee, which can be quite dangerous to do with only two hands and relies on strangers holding your baby and handbag etc. On MANY occasions I couldn’t get on a bus cause a buggy was already in the spot and I too had to wait for up to half an hour for another bus, not ideal with sore MS feet and screaming baby.

I feel sorry for bus drivings trying to police this, I have seen many buggy users cause a fuss about having to move.

[quote=“chocorange”]

susi

since writing my reply have done futher asking/nosing. its not law for chairs to take priority as others have said. we have to rely on ‘good will’.

the buses here dont have a middle entrance-only one oppositethe driver.

ellie

[/quote] Really? Well I am amazed. I thought it would be the same as disabled bays whereby the business has a duty to not only supply but to monitor their use. I would think we are very behind the Scandinavian countries in this. Susi

[quote=“chocorange”]

susi

since writing my reply have done futher asking/nosing. its not law for chairs to take priority as others have said. we have to rely on ‘good will’.

the buses here dont have a middle entrance-only one oppositethe driver.

ellie

[/quote] Really? Well I am amazed. I thought it would be the same as disabled bays whereby the business has a duty to not only supply but to monitor their use. I would think we are very behind the Scandinavian countries in this. Susi

I have a aquasooth scooter this is small enough to get on a bus, i had to be seen by an inspector and show him i could get on and off the bus safely. He then gave me a permit to ue along side my bus pass, ha said that it was still at the drivers discretion as to whether he would let me on the bus, and that i did NOt have priority over pushchairs, if they wont move to let me on then i would have to wait for another bus.

I hope that helps Barbara.xx