Bowel movements

Hi LucyAnnie,

I want to congratulate on being brave enough to tell all regarding issues you are having. After reading your post I could relate to it, this has made me feel a lot better in itself because knowing I am not alone and after reading all the comments it appears that the problems are widespread. I hope that you are able to take a lot of what others are saying and discuss it with the doctor or nurse. I was feeling a bit like oh it will sort itself out kinda thing but now I think I will have the courage to discuss it with neurologist at my next appointment.

Thanks again to you.

Izzy

Thanks Izzy, it’s easy to bare all on this forum, I don’t find it so easy to do with doctors and nurses but like you have discovered there are a lot of us in the same boat and we’ll help each other paddle our way through it. I’m glad others have been reassured as much as I have from all the comments. Good luck to you in the future and hope you manage to be brave enough to discuss it at your next appointment, I’ll try to pluck up the courage but no promises !!

Thanks LucyAnnie

Yeah it’s one thing talking about sensitive issues on here but a different story at appointments. I hope you are able to discuss with doctor and likewise me to. My appointment is in a couple of weeks so I will report back when I have been, pardon the pun Thanks again and I will also say no promises lol

Izzy x

The first time you tell a doctor about your problems regarding your bowels and what you’ve been doing to try to rectify matters is the worst. The second time is also difficult. And discussing it with your OH in the room harder still, but given time it’s easier. Sooner or later, it’s no problem at all. Nowadays I discuss everything with anyone. And my husband is always there in the room.

Believe it or not, they’ve heard it before. There’s certainly never been any surprise on the doctor or nurses faces.

Be brave and do it if you can. And if you can’t right now, then maybe one day you will. Don’t worry if you can’t talk about it yet.

Sue

2 Likes

I have trouble going for a poo and wee. I find if I sit on a bowl of hot water it relaxes my muscles so I am more able to push the poo out.

Turbs

I find if I sit on a bowl of hot water it helps

Nudge to the top.

hi. i have recently found that taking psyllium husk & linseeds as part of breakfast plus at night (mixed with a little milk) does the rick. obv you have to drink sufficient water during the day too.

might be worth trying.

Hi lucy i do the same as you 2/3 times a day. I have had so many tests/scans etc over the years. Final results my bowel muscles are not working. My biggest problem is wind. Very very painful trapped wind because of the slow transit i think which i cant get rid of naturally. Again only the finger put up releases it and my god does it release it. It goes on and on. Very loud all different sounds and noises. Once all the wind has gone i can then poop. The build up of wind stops me going.I hate my life…can you imagine being in a public toilet i have to plan everywhere i go. Im in constant pain and they say there is nothing that would help. I do have mini glycerin supps which i use occasionally. I have tried fodmap diet and others but with no difference so its not food related its mechanical. Using my finger i hate with vengance but i dont have a choice but saying all that when im on holiday i dont get the pains. I will always have to use my finger but is stress aggravating it i wonder. I had a hysterectomy 22 years ago and the hospital said biggest mistake but didnt have a choice but it is the worst culprit for bowel problems.

Hi, I agree bowel problems are just so awful and no ideal solution. I’ve been using peristeen wash out system for 4 years now, it’s far from ideal but it does work to a fashion. I’m still like you though, I have to put a finger up to open up and let it out.
I was interested in you saying you thought your hysterectomy hadn’t helped as I had one maybe 20 years ago and when I think about it my bowels probably haven’t been great since.
I can sympathise with you but I’ve not got any solutions, have a look into the wash out, I hardly get any wind at all with it and only get pain if I’ve left it too long between doing it.
Try and stay strong, it’s not easy I know, I’ve cried buckets over my bowels and had many a temper tantrum but none of that cures it unfortunately, good luck with it all.

1 Like

Hi, I had this problem, yes I take movicol like so many do, but it still got stuck, noe I apologise in advance if someone has already mentioned this, but for the past 5 years I’ve done a anul irrigation and this really helps me and I know you can do a bowel irrigation, it was the continence clinic that got me onto to this when a nurse examined me, so maybe this is could work for you.
Jean