Blue Badges for MS sufferers

I disagree Sue - I have no issue with someone with a mental problem being classed as ‘disabled’ but if they don’t have a physical/mobility problem why do they need to park in a disabled space? We could end up with a situation where designated spaces for disabled people on public transport are taken by people who are classed as disabled but have no physical problems. In the workplace it may be ‘easier’ to employ someone who is disabled with a mental health problem rather than a wheelchair user for whom expensive? physical adaptations have to be done.

4 Likes

My reasoning is simply that if it’s difficult to walk regardless of cause, then they should get a badge. So for eg, someone with extreme anxiety/mental illness who needs help and guidance to get for eg into the doctors surgery, dentists, a shop, etc, and simply cannot walk further than the distance mandated by the rules for a badge, should (imo) qualify for one. As for them using a disabled space, fair enough they don’t require the extra room as for eg I do, but it’s about distance rather than space.

We can of course disagree, I can appreciate what you’re saying about spaces on public transport, or indeed the workplace. I’m also sure the time will come when we can’t park because someone with an ‘invisible’ disability is taking up ‘my’ disabled space and I moan like hell!

Sue