Bladder problems

You really need to know if you have a storage problem in which case the various meds available may work for you or if it’s an emptying problem/retention then self catheterisation may be required.

I’ve had some serious bladder issues…

I was prescribed solifenacin which was pretty helpful especially at night reducing my visits down from 7+ to 0-2 downside was a horrible dry mouth side effect which did eventually improve.

However daytime accidents were still a problem. I had to see a urologist due to a suspected cancer (thankfully benign)and on discussing my bladder problems afterwards he prescribed me Mirabegron … early days but I seem to be able to hold on longer. Occasional little leaks but not “whoosh, no stopping it”

Get a referral, you need to know if it’s a storage (usually meds) or retention problem (self catheterisation) and get advice on the best treatment.

Solifenacin does have the best efficacy but is a little more expensive hence not usually first line.

Mirabegron works in a different way and those delightful nice guidelines only say to give it if others have failed …

Good luck sorting it, we need to be able to have a life not be terrified of going out…

My bladder problems seem to be quite different than what I have read so far and it’s more about accessibility than anything else.! I’m a full-time wheelie and have to take a bottle wherever we go so accessible toilets is always paramount. Even though I have adaptive trousers it’s a bit of an effort fishing about for my penis especially with hands that are now fairly arthritic in appearance and it all leads to too many accidents especially if my legs decide to go into spasm at the same time… There is a ray of light however as I am going to have a suprapubic catheter fitted next Thursday which potentially should be quite liberating!

Hi Stefos,

Not so different really, it’s still about not enough time and bladder control to get in position one way or another…

Good luck for next Thursday.