Forum

baclofen

I take 10mg of Baclofen at night and 5mg during the day.I feel i want to increase my Baclofen by 5mg at night,do i have to see my gp to do this or just go ahead. Its a daft question but having a senior momement(only 49) haha.

kim

Hi Kim

My GP has given me instructions to alter my dosage, when I feel the need to, up to 2 tablets 3 times a day, but I would think it best to speak to yours first, to check he is ok with this.

Hope this helps, take care

Pam.

my MS nurse said something similar, moderate changes in dosage is left to me. I am down to 5mg a day and have to cut a tablet in half and wondered whether Kim you have to do the same thing.All the best, Peter

Hi, like many others, i was told to adjust my baclofen myself, to find the right dose for me.

Thing is you need to do it slowly as too much can cause falls, wetting and for me…tongue swallowing.eeek!

I now take 30mg at night…safer than in the day, incase of falls.

Best check with your GP before increasing dose, methinks.

luv Pollx

Hi Kim, I think you’d be absolutely fine to change it, BUT as your doc will presumably be monitoring how fast you get through it, and will notice if you’re requesting a repeat sooner than expected, it might be an idea to get the change “rubber stamped”, just so you don’t have any queries next time you come to renew. The instructions on mine now read: “Take one OR two tablets, one to three times a day”, so I can very both size and number of doses. Unfortunately, I’ve now settled at the max of 3 x 2, so if I reach the point that still isn’t enough, I’ll be back to the doc’s for a discussion about raising it still further, or trying sonething else. Baclofen is one of those things where it does take a bit of patient experiment, in order to get it right, but no harm in keeping your doc on-side with any changes you’re planning to make. Mine has never said: “No, you shouldn’t do that !”. Usually, I can sort it out in a phone-call, without having to visit the surgery. Tina

Thanks everyone for responding quickly.Im so sick of jerking at night (excuse the pun),i might do 15ng tonight,So tired today,ill prob sleep soundly.

I think the most you are meant to take is 30 mgs a day,u are below this,so in theroy u should be ok,but defffo check with ur doc,b4 u do anything

Actually, before everybody panics, the max. recommended dose is 80mg per day - more than twice what you have suggested. Some people are on more than that, at the discretion of their doctor.

So anyone who’s already on more than 30, under doctor’s supervision - no worries, you’re NOT over any limits.

Tina

Hi Kim,

I take 80mg a day,but i can go up to 90mg,dont do it very often,as i cant function well at that dose.

Take Care.

Chris

Hi - I think it may be necessary to speak with your GP. I was on 10 mg 3 times a day and now my dosage has been increased to 30 mg 3 times a day by my neurologist. Hope you get sorted.

Claire

Hi - I think it may be necessary to speak with your GP. I was on 10 mg 3 times a day and now my dosage has been increased to 30 mg 3 times a day (90 mg a day) by my neurologist. Hope you get sorted. Claire

Hi - I think it may be necessary to speak with your GP. I was on 10 mg 3 times a day and now my dosage has been increased to 30 mg 3 times a day (90 mg a day) by my neurologist. Hope you get sorted. Claire

Hi Kim,

It’s left up to me - look on the box where your name etc is printed. Mine says ‘up to 80mg per day’. am taking 50mg.

TOP TIP - If you are going to take 1/2 tablets invest in a tablet splitter about £1 from chemist/supermarket. ~Tablets are so small it’s easy to take to much or to little if you’re trying to bite them!

good luck, Jen x

Hi Kim,

If you type in Baclofen pump into the search engine,that might be something to think about before you make you mind up.

There is people on this site that have had it done.

Not sure why but it slipped my mind,on my other post to you.

Take it easy.

Chris.

sorry about misinformation,i was on 30 mgs,and not doing anything ,doc changedd me,as she didnt feel happy upping the does,thanks for the information ,for future reference:)