Avonex (Kruffley)

Hello everyone, I will be starting avonex soon. any tips/help/ideas greatly accepted. Thanks Kathryn

Hi Kathryn I’ve been on Avonex for about 3 months I take 2 ibuprofen about an hour before i inject at 7PM then 2 paracetamol when i go to bed about 10pm. With the injection I just take the approach of a quick jab and job done. You might be offered the Avonex pen which uses a a shorter neeedle, As I have no trouble I turned it down. I do sometimes have some headache and leg ache in the morning and for this i will take some more paracetamol. Take care Kaz

thanks Kaz

When I was on Avonex I would numb my leg with an ice cube wrapped in kitchen towel to numb it first that take 2 paracetemol and 2 ibuprofen afterwards no side effects

Chris, if it’s any comfort, something similar happened to me very early in my10 year Avonex career. It thought I had malaria, and crawled off to bed with my teeth chattering, shivering incontrollably, unable to get warm. It only happened once - nothing remotely like it ever happened again. Let’s hope it’s the same for you.

Alison

x

My regime was to inject last thing at night, take a couple of ibuprofen, sleep. Then take a couple more first thing before getting up, even if I felt I did not need them. For me the side effects, mild as they were, were much easier to prevent in this way than to fix. I hope it all goes well for you.

Alison

x