Aubagio or not? Or no DMT at all?

Hi, I recently tried Tecfidera, but after a few weeks of persistent vomitting (and all whilst still taking a low dose) I stopped. I have now been offered Aubagio as an alternative, however I am sceptical as the side effects listed seem very similar to Tec and my neurologist said hair loss occurs in about 1/3 of patients which seems pretty high to me! I am considering not actually taking any medication at all. Has anyone made a similar decision? Taking a DMT is relatively new to me. I was diagnosed in 2008 and at this stage unless relapses were less than two years apart you weren’t offered DMTs. My MS is fairly inactive. That’s not to say I don’t have issues but my scans have more or less stayed the same over the years. I have had 4 relapses since be diagnosed in 2008 when I had a big relapse which resulted in hospitalisation and my diagnosis. My relapses tend to occur every 2-3 years and have been less severe than the one in 2008. After having one in 2019 I was offered Copaxone. I didn’t have any side effects from Copaxone eg headache, sickness etc so liked it from that point of view, but had to stop due to it causing dents in my skin. I have made lots of changes to my lifestyle which have helped massively in managing my MS. I guess my point is that as I feel relatively well all things considered, and I felt terrible on Tecfidera, is it really worth the side effects of a DMT? I understand it absolutely is for some people, but given my history I am not so sure. I know have no way of knowing if/when the next big relapse will happen but is it worth going on a DMT really? Anyone have good alternatives to Tecfidera and Aubagio? My neurologist said yesterday that MS activity tends to decline once you hit menopause and I am going through the menopause currently. I take HRT and that’s been a massive game changer for my health and the way I feel!

Hi,
Funnily enough I am thinking the same myself. I was diagnosed in 2018 and have been on Avonex for the last 3 years. I wanted a change from what felt like the drag of weekly injections so tried Tecfidera. It didn’t go well! I stopped taking them last Friday after 3 weeks when I was vomitting too. The drug just didn’t suit me! Sorry it didnt work out for you either.
I’m having a break from DMTs for a few weeks whilst I recover and I’m also starting to question wether it’s worth it for me to be on one. I don’t know what the answer is…is the reason my MS has been stable for the last 3 years because of the Avonex or because I’ve been lucky? Are the side effects worth it for a drug that reduces replapses by only 30%? I’d always thought of my DMT as my insurance policy and maybe it still will be, but I’m just taking some time to gather my thoughts after what felt like a traumatic and disappointing 3 weeks! Sorry I’ve not been more help but I wanted you to know that you’re not alone in your thoughts. Good luck whatever you decide.

Hi, thanks for your reply. It definitely helps to know people are in the same boat as me. How did you find Avonex? I didn’t mind injecting with Copaxone, it’s just that it caused lipoatrophy (fat breakdown). Sounds good in theory but it looks very unpleasant. Hope you make a decision that’s right for you. Good luck :slightly_smiling_face:

It was fine. I would get flu like symptoms every week but I managed them quite well with paracetamol and had a good routine. I’d usually feel a bit weaker on the morning after the night I took my injection, but nothing terrible.
I just wanted a change and not to have the hassle of taking injections on holiday etc (when we finally start going on them!). I might try Plegridy as it’s every 2 weeks, but am worried about it being under the skin rather than in the muscle. I just thought taking a tablet twice a day might be easier!

1 Like