Anyone on DMD's for a CIS in England

Hi,

I’m trying to find a neuro who will consider DMD’s for a CIS. I’m with the QE Birmingham and it’s standard policy there not to prescribe them. I’m willing to travel anywhere within England. Thanks.

Hi I think there is a criteria. And although DMDs are hoped to reduce relapses they may not be needed from the start. I was diagnosed in 2004 , had two relapses then nothing other than niggly symptoms till 2009 when the relapses were worse. Have had a further two since, in the space of less than two months leaving me with a weak left leg and a slight limp and I now struggle to walk anywhere near as far as I could. I.now qualify for DMDs due to the relapses and the damage left. Depending on the severity of the CIS and any damage left nay determine your eligibility. And on the plus said you may remain relapse free for a good few years so medication may not be necessary. I coped for a while. X

Hi again… I’m just looking at the m.s decisions website and found this extract about CIS: Clinically Isolated Syndrome (CIS) Clinically Isolated Syndrome (CIS) is the first episode of MS symptoms lasting at least 24 hours, but before a formal diagnosis of MS has been made. People with CIS who show abnormalities on MRI scans within one year may receive treatment with interferon beta or glatiramer acetate provided local health service commissioners agree. Four of the five self-administered drugs are licensed for CIS. These are: interferon beta 1a (Avonex®), interferon beta 1b (Betaferon® and Extavia®), and glatiramer acetate (Copaxone®). Xxx