amitriptyline

Hi

This is my 1st post and I am in need of a bit of advice regarding amitripyline. I was taking Tizanidine 8mgs at night and I have co-codomel 2 tablets 3 times a day for pain in my hip and back, but my neurologist has suggested I come off both of these and prescribed me 10mg Amitriptyline at night, I took my first dose last night hoping it would help me sleep but it didn’t do anything, I ended up waking at 2 in the morning in pain and had to take 4mg of tizanidine and 2 co-codomel for the pain. I thought i might try 20mg tonight but am not sure what to do. Can anyone give me some advice?

Many thanks

Jennifer

Can’t offer advice but will bump you to top incase anyone else can help. Linda x

Hi.

It can take a while for amitriptyline to build up in your system before it has an effect. I’ve been on it for nearly 2 years now and, like you, started on 10mg per night. I was told that although they start you on a low dose, it can be built up to about 75mg. After a week, they increased mine to 20mg and now I’m on 30mg. Pregabalin and gabapentin did nothing for me but amitriptyline does work for me. I do get a bit of pain cutting through sometimes but it’s more manageable and it does help me sleep. Hope it works for you too.