Amitriptyline withdrawal ... hell!

Hi all, hope you all got through Christmas and New Year ok.

I’ve had a very difficult few weeks. I’ve been on Amitriptyline for about 14 years. Was on 75 mg for ages and then quite recently went up to 100 mg… mostly to increase the antidepressant effect of it. Anyway, saw GP for my thyroid problem and she took my pulse and decided I needed an ECG.

Long story short, I had developed a problem in my heart called a ‘prolonged QT interval’ which is to do with the interval in the heartbeat and has been caused by Amitriptyline!!! So, from 100 mg daily I had to reduce over 2 weeks (over Christmas!) and come off it completely.

It has been really hard. Feel dreadful… BUT on day 10 I can report that I slept properly last night for first time since this started! Probably why I feel able to write this post as I’ve been incapable of doing anything much at all. GP has also put me on an antidepressant so I think that’s just beginning to work.

Also I’m shielding again as feel if I get Covid while feeling like this I’ll have nothing to fight with!!!

Sorry such dull message… but worth knowing that Amitriptyline can effect your heart in LONG TERM use.

Sending love and blessings to you all and Happy New Year! Let’s look forward to better days!

Pat xxx

2 Likes

Hi Pat, happy new year. I am sorry to hear what`s happened.

I`ve been on amitriptyline for 21 years. I take it to control nerve pain.

I did get up to 100mg at night, before it zapped the pain. I am now happy on 50mg., have been for a few years.

I have never taken it as an anti depressant. But I do know it can be used for that purpose.

Take care sweet,

Love Boudsx

1 Like

Hi folks

I have been on 50mg amitriptyline for decades with no ill effect, thank goodness. It helps with my pain and sleeping. I also take Duloxetine for depression which all help me function like a FAIRLY normal human being with PPMS! A major miracle in my opinion. You will come out of this smiling Pat.

Wishing you all the very best for 2021. M x

1 Like

Hi Pat

I am sorry to read of your experience with this medication, and hopefully you will feel much better soon.

Pam x

1 Like

Thank you all. Still feel dreadful but it can only get better!

Lots of love,

Pat xxx

1 Like

Hope you feel better very soon.

Take care

Jan x

I really feel for you…i had to withdraw from Valium years ago and it was pure hell for a long time.I will never take a drug like that again,never.Hope you feel better soon Pat.x

Hi Pat

Sorry to hear about your problems. I take amitriptyline 50mg for pain and Citalopram for depression. I know the combination can do harm long term but I don’t do well when either are stopped and I’m willing to take the risk. I came off amitriptyline years ago and remember not even being able to feed myself I was shaking so badly, and was unwell for quite a while. I hope you feel better now.

Cath x

Hi Pat

Sorry to hear about your problems. I take amitriptyline 50mg for pain and Citalopram for depression. I know the combination can do harm long term but I don’t do well when either are stopped and I’m willing to take the risk. I came off amitriptyline years ago and remember not even being able to feed myself I was shaking so badly, and was unwell for quite a while. I hope you feel better now.

Cath x

1 Like

Sorry you have had this blip Pat but I know you. You’ll be onward and upward from here

1 Like

Dear Pat

I hope thing are getting better, you know we all love you, M x

1 Like

Should have been things x

Hi all, much better now thank goodness… love to all… Pat xxx

1 Like

Glad to hear that Pat, take care.

Pam x