Alcohol / Dairy / Gluten and if they link to MS

Getting rid of the crap can’t hurt. There’s no such thing as a quick fix, but by getting rid of the rubbish will allow your body to start to repair itself and work properly, rather than existing by fighting fires, as they say. Eventually, the fires get too big to put out, or our bodies get too tired from fire-fighting all the time.

I don’t think I have any particular intolerance but I started the paleo diet not long after my diagnosis, about 2.5yrs ago. Takes a bit of getting used to and giving up all my favourite foods but I’m the healthiest/lightest/most well I have been in years so there is no going back for me. I’ve (TOUCH WOOD) not had a relapse in nearly three years. Don’t know if this relates to the diet, but I reckon eating a clean diet can’t do any harm, and may help prevent other illness and disease too.

Do you take medication Lou?

Thank you all for taking the time to reply!!

I know my other half was definitely glad to read that other people were experiencing the same thing as her - not glad other people had it, just that it wasn’t something more sinister related to just her.

The “ball” feeling she gets is something she was really worried about. It’d definitely be interesting to hear about other peoples experiences, but maybe that’s for another thread!

The lactose / dairy / gluten “side effect” is an interesting one. MS is by it’s very nature unique in how it effects everyone. I would imagine that with the immune system in over-drive, your body is quite sensitive, and as such food intolerances can probably arise out of the blue, as your body fights against certain things.

I’m sure it doesn’t effect everyone, but we are convinced that the dairy / lactose intolerance started after experience MS symptoms!

As our MS nurse said to us, unfortunately there hasn’t been a lot of studies into this, as no one would really benefit - e.g. a dairy company wouldn’t pour money into research to find out that there was a link between MS and dairy intolerance.

My other half started her course of Rebif last week, has had 2 injections thus far, and is really feeling the side effects - achey / pain, tired etc …anyone else on Rebif and had similar experiences?

Thanks again to everyone for taking their time to reply!

Hi there,

I’m not diagnosed yet, but I have tested positive for something autoimmune going on. At the moment I have been tested positive for polyneuropathy, but I also have hemicorporal symptoms so the neuro has started talking about undertaking MRIs. Since all my problems started I have definitely developed sensitivities to certain foods, dairy being one I noticed around two years ago now. Recently I’ve also been thinking about this in terms of potential toxins, and I’ve started taking a little organic goats cheese from time to time. This form of dairy is likely to carry less toxins than any other and I figure that I might be able to take a small amount without doing too much harm. So even though your partner may have a problem with dairy, why not try an approach where you permit yourself some little treats. As someone who has given up dairy, gluten, most forms of nuts, and reduced caffeine and alcohol to a bare minimum, its nice to try and find things that I can take occasionally to boost the old taste buds.

Astro

the side effects from rebif should taper off, make sure she take the injections at night to sleep through the worst. if the side effects dont go away after a few months or they get too bad to deal with, talk to the ms nurse or neuro as it might not be the right med for her