advice to help walking

Hi, I’m newly diagnosed and it was a bit of a surprise, as I imagine it is to pretty much everyone. I’m still working and am on my feet a lot. While I don’t work every day (I’m a community carer), I can rest during the day when I’m off in between housework :).

I’ve had pins and needles in my feet for almost a year now and feeling of numbness from my feet up to at least my torso. My walking is unbalanced and sometimes I can’t walk a straight line. I’ve had a difficult couple of weeks in which after only have to do 2 or 3 house calls, my legs get heavier, catch my foot on the floor and struggle to keep going. My manager is very good and so are my colleagues but I just wonder if there is any advice or exercise or…? that might help my legs keep going or make it less difficult to walk. I use a stick between house and car on a visit but can’t use in the houses. When in someone’s house there are objects to hold onto but the going backwards and forwards to complete the tasks I’m there to do just tire my legs out.

There’s lots of information out there but that’s the problem - there’s lots of it and finding something useful is difficult so I’m being lazy and asking here for advice and want to say thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Hello I have had MS for 16 years and it is a slow process of having problems. Catching your foot on the floor is foot drop, balance is an MS problem, holding onto furniture and walking along walls are all symptoms of MS. You have posted Anonymous, my real name is not Bertie just sign in with a false name, then we known who you are. There are lots of good people on this site with a wealth of knowledge far more than me Bertie. Are you on any drugs for the MS so people can offer advice. You say you cannot use your stick in peoples homes why not? I used to go in restaurants and had to use a stick and hold onto chairs and tables. My phsio lady said why do you not use your rollator as you do at home, everyone can see you are disabled. You can get a home visit on the NHS for 12 weeks who will show you exercises to do. Get in touch with your MS society they do exercise class`s and offer physio visits. Get a rollator with a seat on it for walking to your car, you must not fall with foot drop and put in the boot and a blue badge. There is so much to help you to lead a fairly normal life Post again and get some real advice, you do not want to be like me an old disabled fart, I do try my best in the winter of my life. We hope to hear from you soon. Happy Bertie

1 Like

[quote=“Bertie”] Hello I have had MS for 16 years and it is a slow process of having problems. Catching your foot on the floor is foot drop, balance is an MS problem, holding onto furniture and walking along walls are all symptoms of MS. You have posted Anonymous, my real name is not Bertie just sign in with a false name, then we known who you are. There are lots of good people on this site with a wealth of knowledge far more than me Bertie. Are you on any drugs for the MS so people can offer advice. You say you cannot use your stick in peoples homes why not? I used to go in restaurants and had to use a stick and hold onto chairs and tables.

My phsio lady said why do you not use your rollator as you do at home, everyone can see you are disabled. You can get a home visit on the NHS for 12 weeks who will show you exercises to do. Get in touch with your MS society they do exercise class`s and offer physio visits.

Get a rollator with a seat on it for walking to your car, you must not fall with foot drop and put in the boot and a blue badge. There is so much to help you to lead a fairly normal life Post again and get some real advice, you do not want to be like me an old disabled fart, I do try my best in the winter of my life. We hope to hear from you soon. Happy Bertie [/quote]

…above is quote.

Bertie, I thought your advice was great. You have a good sense of humour after 16 years with the beast that says a lot really.

I agree about the ANON mine is a pseudonym of who I am yes I am a crazy chick lol. sometimes i find it confusing as i have seen an ANON post being answered by an ANON post lol. I am not sure why we need to be anonymous. we are all friends on the same journey.

xxxxxxxxxx

Gosh I admire you to work as a carer. My legs get tired really quickly i have PPMS and now always in danger of tripping of falling.

Difficulty walking i would think you need to see a physio. The more tired i get the worse my tripping is and my balance goes out of the window.

You can take extra magnesium which might help, but really your job is a lot to do with MS. I think seriously you need to have an aid to balance yourself if you fall it could be even worse for you.

I am not sure what to say except see an OT, talk to physio and your GP. Are you RRMS and have you been offered medication yet?

when your not working rest. Tired wobbly legs sadly comes with MS. x

Hi, thank you for replying. Not on any medication at the moment and am awaiting a physio appt after seeing my MS nurse 3 weeks ago. I’m reading and learning more about my condition and tend to just get on with every day as I would have done before my diagnosis but in recent weeks it is impacting on work. I use a stick to help me get to and fro from car to house I’m visiting but do not use in other people’s houses so as not to worry the people I visit thinking their carer may possibly need more care than they do :slight_smile: and I need to hands to carry a cup of tea haha :). I realise it will be a slow process but still held out hope someone diagnosed longer than myself may have picked up a trick or two. On the plus side my dog is so happy I sit down a lot more than I used to so he can snuggle next to me.

Thanks again :slight_smile:

Thank you for your reply.

I have RRMS and it was a surprise to me how quickly from diagnosis to struggling with walking it seemed to be or perhaps I just ignored a lot of it until it became really noticeable! I’m sure my job doesn’t help and am looking for something else but it takes time. I will try the magnesium as I hadn’t heard about that. Not on medication yet and waiting for physio. My house has never been tidy so I don’t think anyone will notice if I skip housework every now and then :slight_smile:

Thanks again