Why are the medics “rushing”?

Hello! I’ve had a few incidences over the years including numbness from toes to chest, TN diagnosis and generally feeling half-ragged, but hey none of us are getting younger!

About 3 years ago following the TN diagnosis (dental hospital suspected MS) I was referred to neurosurgery… who promptly lost the referral etc. so I plumped for a private consultation, had a couple of MRIs showing holes like Swiss cheese… and the last time I saw my neurologist was 3 days before the first lockdown when he said “I don’t think this covid will come to anything”. :joy:

So here we are. I’ve since moved areas and am under a different NHS trust.

2 weeks ago I got double vision assumed to be viral. Last weekend I suffered a Bell’s palsy.

GP now very worried. Gave me a huge amount of steroids and did a fasting glucose for diabetes. Came into the room as the nurse was doing my bloods and satisfied not diabetes, sent me to the optician do not pass go. Paid £45 for advanced optics tests.

Optician sent me directly to hospital for a CT scan and happy eyes are working fine - just not as a pair! (no MRI locally).

At this point mid-afternoon it transpired GP, local hospital, optician and next NHS trust neurology team along now all in discussion.

Obviously I’m going out of my mind and it’s not helped by not being able to see a foot in front of me clearly.

Why the rush when usually the NHS rumbles along at its own pace?

When it gets its act together, the NHS can move briskly enough. You have had stuff going the matter for a little while now, and it sounds like someone is starting to join up the dots and wonder what lies behind it all. I hope that you get some answers soon, and that you vision quickly improves. Vision problem are horrid.

1 Like

Well the CT scans came back clear for anything else “nasty” and when I questioned the GP regarding urgent being as long as a piece of string - I was told there’s different types of urgent and I’m going to be seen VERY soon and neurology are on stand-by.

I hope this means I can get answers (and meds!) sooner rather than later and get on the mend.

1 Like

Thought I’d update. I had a hospital appointment on Thursday which was cancelled last minute as they said not much point seeing you, it’s neurology your need.

I have a neurology appointment in a couple of weeks so I’ve been busy keeping a daily diary.

I’m in a difficult spot though. I feel like absolute crud, you’ll all know - make a coffee and lie down for 20 minutes to recover type thing - and my eyes aren’t working properly yet. Probably also need to get the doors padded given the regularity in which I bounce off them! :joy:

So it’s work. GP has said they’ll sign me off but I’m so embarrassed and feel silly about it. Working is not working for me - but at the same time without diagnosis I feel almost like I’m “faking it”. :pensive:

1 Like

Well I’ve got my appointment on Wednesday and am feeling really anxious about it.

I’ve made a list of “symptoms” stretching back the 8 years they’ve been obvious.

But truth be told I’m terrified he’s going to say it’s all down to being fat/stressed/etc.

I’ve been reading lots of stories of people who presented themselves at a&e when they had their first big attack and am kicking myself for being “too stoical” and waiting to see if it passes.

Any words of wisdom? Is it considered bad form to have a “wee nip” to calm nerves before a 9am appointment? :wink:

The sun will be over the yard-arm somewhere, but you probably need your wits about you. :slightly_smiling_face:

Deep breaths. Do your best to stay calm, and try not to assume that the doc will be useless unless and until he/she demonstrates the fact. Most of them are OK. Assume you’ll get an OK one, and I hope you won’t be disappointed.

Limbo is over and the doctor was great. Now it’s been acknowledged I can start thinking DMTs and what next.

A mere 8 years limbo. :wink:

1 Like

Well, at least now you know. Even though it’s not the greatest news, there can be something clarifying about that. It’s been a long time coming.

I hope that your vision gets better fast and that you get on a DMD before long.