Which Drug?!

hi

copaxone is sub-cutaneous and has an auto ject.

it is a daily injection but the side effects are minimal for most people.

i went on copaxone straight after diagnosis and had 6 good years on it.

unfortunately my injection sites were a mess so my ms nurse arranged for me to go on tecfidera.

​avonex is once a week intra muscular.

i don’t know much about rebif.

​if you do choose copaxone here are some tips.

keep the skin moisturised because it helps the needle to go in easily.

do your injection when you are feeling calm and relaxed.

good luck

carole x

Hi, I was on Rebif for a few years, I found it very easy with the autoject. I injected Mon. Wed. & Fri. & had the weekend off. I had slight flu like symptoms that lasted for about 10/12 weeks, paracetamol dealt with that.

Good luck

Rosina x

You might find this entry on the Barts blog interesting. Multiple Sclerosis Research: ClinicSpeak: pregnancy outcomes with natalizumab exposure

1 Like

I honestly wouldnt go back to copaxone, its a step or 100 down and im glad i came off it to go on tysabri i relapsed twice in 8 days on copaxone and still relapsed regular, ive only ever had copaxone since being able to use dmd’s and i would NOT look to choosing copaxone, it leaves your skin all bubbley also. At first i felt great for 6months then it just felt like it wasnt packing the punch, i hope this helps

hi nbrownlie85

i was on rebif for 2 months, and the injections weren’t the problem but the side effects were lousy but i am glad that i was on it. more’s the pity that there’s 3 weeks’ supply in my fridge and it won’t be accepted as it has already been prescribed.

good luck with whatever you decide, and hope i’ve been of some, even small, help

fluffyollie xx

Hi, I was on Rebif for two or three months. I found it very easy to inject, subcutaneous - just beneath the skin. However, due to recurring headaches I came off it, although the advice was that if I stayed with it they may subside after time.

Have yet to try another DMD.

Ben

Im on tysabri & wouldnt look back, luckily im jc- but even if i become jc+ i doubt ill come off its the best dmd for me i feel comfortable when im on tysab i feel great. No where near as much fatigue as when i chose copaxone. Ive not had any anti boddies etc its been a massive weight off my shoulders my ms since ive been on tysab even though ive only been on it 8months.

1 Like

Out of the three, I’d choose copaxone. It has less side effects than the other injectables. In fact, I don’t think it has any side effects, well at least I don’t suffer from any. I took Copaxone while I was trying to get pregnant and my neurologist said it was the only one that was safe to stay on while you were trying to conceive. I came off it as soon as I found out I was pregnant and went straight back on it after the baby was born. It did mean I couldn’t breastfeed but to be honest I heard so many horror stories about breastfeeding from other mums so I wasn’t particularly disappointed about that. I now have a beautiful healthy 13 month old. Good luck whatever you decide. Ps, the daily injections are a doddle. They fit nicely round my evening routine and the needle is so fine so it’s not painful. Slight sting, that’s all. Lisa x

Thanks for everyones responses, it’s really appreciated.

I didn’t want to keep hassling my MS nurse, so you guys have all made the choice a bit easier.

I think i’m swaying towards Copaxone…however it may change :slight_smile:

Hi there,

I have been on DMDs now for nearly four years. I started on Rebif which I was on for about 10 months. I used the rebismart device which was very easy. I took paracetemol to combat the flu feelings. If I ever forgot I did experience aches and shivers. I chose to stop taking rebif as I was getting really bad headaches which seemed to last all day and to be honest I felt worse on rebif then before taking it. My MS nurse supported my decision and after a break of 2 months I began copaxone. Downside is injecting everyday but I soon got used to it-however I have virtually had no side effects.At first my injection sites seemed itchy and hot but after 2-3 weeks this feeling eased and went away. Sometimes a lump would form under the skin where I injected but this does go and after nearly 3 years is less obvious. You do have to make sure you rotate your injection sites carefully but the “copaxone” nurse really trains you well and they are very helpful. When I swopped to copaxone the new oral drugs were not available so I didn’t get that choice. For now I am happy on copaxone and I know that if I want to/need to I am elegible for the new oral treatments.

Good luck with your decision