Which DMT?

I’ve recently been diagnosed as CIS and been offered the choice of the interferons or copaxone. Does anyone have any opinions on which to choose? Can see they all have side effects and would be grateful for some first hand opinions? Why did you choose your DMT?

Thanks in advance.

hi smurf

i’m sure that i’ve already replied to this post, have you duplicated it?

i read up on all the DMTs.

i asked for alemtuzumab (later called campath and now lemtrada) but it wasn’t available in 2008.

i didn’t like the sound of the interferons giving flu-like symptoms.

the oral therapies weren’t available either.

so i chose copaxone.

had 4 good years until i started getting cramps in the area i injected.

then is stopped rotating my sites as i should.

ended up with lipotrophy.

showed it to my ms nurse who put me on tecfidera.

i’m under the impression that tecfidera is a first line treatment along with copaxone and the interferons.

ask if it is available for you.

carole x

Hi Carole, on another thread one of my questions was about DMTs. Have found out from ms nurse that I’m not eligible for tecfidera. Wanted to get some opinions on the interferons and copaxone.

Thinking rebif v copaxone at mo but don’t really know.

there is also avonex which is injected into muscle.

good luck

carole x

Thanks Carole, I’ve not got a clue which to choose to be honest. None of them sound nice.

Your diagnosis is limited only to CIS? Is it not interesting that you are offered any drug (not that this is a bad thing)?

As Tecfidera is deemed to be a first line DMD for those diagnosed with RRMS (along with interferons etc), if you can be offered some, i fail to understand why Tec isn’t included as an option.

Seems strangely selective to me, but i admit, i don’t know everything…

Hi Paolo, at mo I’m CIS as only 1 episode, pos LP and 2-3 brain lesions. Did have a possible episode in 1999 but only MRI of lumbar spine so not enough evidence to include it according to neurologist. She said eligible for interferon DMTs which is backed up by MS decisions aid. I’ve emailed ms nurse about tecfidera but not licensed for CIS. Seems I need to wait for next relapse to be diagnosed as ms and then be eligible for more effective DMTs. Suppose I’m fortunate to be offered anything.

1 Like

Hi

I can’t remember from your earlier posts whether you’ve seen the MS Trust decision aid: MS Decisions aid | MS Trust

It may be useful to you. The beta interferons and Copaxone are all about as effective as each other.

Personally I found Copaxone to give me fewer side effects than Avonex. They are the only two I’ve tried. Obviously interferon beta 1a, which was originally Avonex and given as a weekly intramuscular injection is now more likely to be given in the form of Plegridy, which is a fortnightly subcutaneous (just under the skin) injection, so is possibly the easiest to administer.

I’ve got no experience of any of the other beta interferons so can’t comment.

Hopefully whatever you opt for will do it’s job and you may never have another episode.

Sue

Thanks Sue, I have seen the decision aid but thanks. I’ve received the info from the MS nurse ahead of my appointment with her. She’s indicated which DMTs I’m eligible for. However, amongst others, she’s indicated plegridy but not betaferon or extavia. According to the book she’s sent which is from the Decisions Aid site, CIS makes me eligible for avonex, betaferon, extavia, rebif and copaxone but not plegridy.

Its a double edge sword really. There’s not quite enough to diagnose MS though I did have an earlier episode in 1999. But an MS diagnosis would open up more DMTs which would be more likely to prevent a relapse and thus an MS diagnosis.