which DMD? experiences

Your so brainy Karen x x x

Hi Lisalou, Hard isn’t it. I no sooner think I have it narrowed down then I read something to change my mind. Was thinking Copaxone until I read it’s not good for asthmatics. Not feeling the love for any of them if truth be told but needs must and all that. Perhaps we can compare notes once we start as it sounds like we’ll be starting around the same time and are at the same hospital. Take care Shuffler

That’s interesting to read about Copaxone and asthma as I’m convinced that my IPIR’s with Copaxone have started off my childhood asthma again. I didn’t actually know that it was not good for asthmatics so that has reconfirmed what I suspected.

Hello, I was diagnosed a year ago and as I was terrified of injections, it has taken me a year to get my head round first of all having MS - although that is still a work in progress and choosing a Dmd . At first I was convinced rebif was the right way to go as I thought 3 injections a week would be better than daily. Then I started thinking about the side effects… After 3 severe relapses, speech affected and right hand paralysed and falling down because balance effected - a dose of flu and depression??? … I thought no! I work full time as a manager in a very large dept store and have lost enough time. Copaxone is the right Dmd for me… I’ve administered my 2 nd injection this afternoon and blimey…at the moment I’m thinking,‘what’s the big fuss.’ Hope I’m not tempting fate but really! After 2 lumber punctures and being hospitalised this is nothing and I don’t even feel the needle going in, it does sting for a while afterwards but on a pain scale of 1 to 10, this is about a 2 at worse. It’s early days though… And I know everyone is different… Hope this is how it is :slight_smile: Best regards, Belinda x

Thanks everyone. And shuffler we can certainly compare notes. It is very confusing. I’m pretty certain on rebif or extavia but like you then have second thoughts. X x x

I had a confirmed dx on 20th December 2012 and during my last appointment with my neurologist at the end of February 2013 I requested Rebif using the Rebismart. I’m waiting for the delivery to arrive and I have a provisional appointment with the medication nurse on 16th April to go through everything.

My reasons for choosing Rebif? Simple - it was the only one that didn’t resemble a syringe or needle and it only needs to be done 3 times a week. I too have a needle phobia and as the Rebismart needles are hidden in little caps that click in is a big help. I thought the Rebismart looked like a large pager and will let me know when injections are due and at which site etc.

I’m not too fussed about the flu like symptoms as I will be doing the injections early evening, hoping I will be able to sleep thorugh any symptoms. I do worry about depression though - I have been suffering from depression since 2009 and currently take sertraline 100mg daily. My neurologist has explained that this could be an issue and he has contacted my gp to request she monitors me for any change in mood.

Anyway - take care everyone and Happy Easter

Pen xx

Thanks Pen, keep us posted on how you get on…it’s good for us new to DMDs to kind of compare. Looks like we have the same reason for picking rebif. I don’t have depression however I do feel I get anxiety and I’m short tempered when there’s really no need to be which worries me with my little boy in the sense that the dmd might make this worse. But I guess time will tell. I’m going I get some rescue remedy just in case in the hope it might take the edge of any anxious feelings. Take care x

Your question about a social life and drinking made me smile. It was one of my questions for my nurse when I had been on Rebif for a few months. Christmas was approaching and I had missed the work Christmas party the previous year as I had been in hospital due to my first ever ‘event’ so I was determined to make up for it that year. I never seem to get the same nurse at the hospital and this one was particularly old-fashioned. When I asked her what I should do on the Friday night about my injection seeing as I intended to be very, very drunk and in no fit state to inject (and this was with the old style auto-injector before they brought out the easier Rebismart), she fixed me with a steely gaze and told me that if I really must drink I should switch my days that week so my injection fell on the Saturday! I really wish I had had my appointment with one of the younger nurses that time who might have understood my need to really enjoy that Christmas party! I left there feeling like a naughty little girl who had been chastised lol. However I did enjoy that party and I even wore high heels as I can balance in them better after a few drinks :wink:

Tracey x

Haha Tracey, great story and your so brave wearing heels…not sure I’d risk it, too worried about toppling over. Haha. X

Sadly they have now gone to the charity shop as I daren’t risk them now. But I have kept some of the semi high heels as I might give them a try still :slight_smile:

I was at a wedding yesterday…had silver shiny flats on, felt very underdressed because of them in the day however again at night I felt ace as all those with silly high heels on we’re dancing bare foot…I was dancing away and walking like a drunk towards the end however towards the end I was a wee bit tipsy (a lot)…haha.mhad a fab night and flat shoes meant I could dance the night away. But boy does my left leg know about it now…oopsie, still a good night. :wink: x

Oops repeated myself there…most be the after affects of the prosecco…love that but its fatal! X

There are some really pretty flats about now. My problem is that I have very narrow feet and I need shoes with straps across to hold them on my feet securely. Right now I can’t find any flats or low heels with straps and it’s not warm enough for my summer shoes :frowning:

Funny how fizzy wine goes to your head much quicker than anything else, lol! At least it does with me, I’m alright if I stick to the non-fizzy stuff.

T x