What's the oldest person you know with ms?

I was diagnosed at 62 years old partially on medical records they recon had it since the 70s

I was diagnosed at 32 with rrms but had symptoms starting at 24. It took 5 episodes of optic neuritis and a flight surgeon at an air force base finally nail it down. After a 20 year career in sales, marketing and management for major corporations I went on LTD at 55. My wife had serious health problems and at 60 I went back to work part-time (20-30 hrs a wk). I just hit 70 and am still working and a care-giver for my wife. I need a cane most days and still have pain and fatigue I treat with medication. The worst part is it really screwed up the handicap of my golf game, I get tired quicker shoveling snow in my drive-way, and I’ve started wasting part of my afternoons taking “power naps”. The good news is that I recently caught the biggest catfish of my life. It does get very annoying when I’m mowing my lawn and my son comes over half-way through and tells me I shouldn’t be doing it. So I just go paint something or work on some other chore or project that needs to be done. My point is, it might slow you down but don’t let it beat you whatever your age. I look forward to 80.

A friend of mine is 73 but I am not sure how long she has had ms.

My wife was diagnosed at 25 and has had MS for 25 years. She is wheelchair bound, only one (mostly) working limb (right arm) and needs 24/7 care. mentaly she is fine but physically she is in a bad way. I often need to help her feed herself, she chokes when eating sometimes, is in pain pretty much all the time, constant spasms. Enough tablets to sink a ship. Her body is slowly braking down. Docs are now providing pain relief only and there is nothing they can do for her MS. We get no help from social services.

This is the other side of MS. We know a lot of people with MS, met via various groups, and my wife is the worst by far. She is at EDSS 8.5 now.

Research suggests from first diagnosis to EDSS 10 is, on average, 25-35 years. So when you are diagnosed with probably drive your life expectancy and disease progression…

This is a thread from 2013 and presumably the person who started it is himself older now, haha. I too got it in my 30’s, and am now 62. You will find many ppl on here in 30’s 40’s 50’s 60’s and upwards. PLEASE folks AGE IS JUST A NUMBER. Youcan feel old at 30 and young at 80…

1 Like

As I understand it, MS doesn’t affect your lifespan so just get on with your daily life. Ignore the irrelevant questions.

My sisters mother in law was 84 when she passed away she had MS for 40 years. I hasten to add she died through complications with her diabetes not her MS. she was in a wheelchair for several years though.

I wonder if all the residents of an Old Peoples Home were MRI brain scanned how many would show a ‘classic’ M.s. profile?

I read somewhere a study in autopsy and it was centred around MS, and the findings were a bit of shock I cant remember the percentage but it showed people who had died kind of normally but suddenly for example and had autopsies they checked and found a percentage had MS but never knew it. this study was way back when i first started i wonder if its still around. I live in sheltered and to be honest two women I would say have MS, but one was diagnosed with something else, and the other they said she had dementia, but since i have been here her brain is fine better then mine but she is just like me, finds words hard, and has brain fog but also her mobility is slowly deteriorating, well i never thought that was a part of dementia.

I understand your gate is affected so balance becomes an issue…due to brain function problems…this is why having more falls is common…as well…

Me! I`m 67

1 Like

beat you I am 68 lol. xxx

1 Like

I’m 68 too and only diagnosed two years ago with symptoms only going back about five years.

1 Like

I have a friend with MS who is 86.

1 Like

You`re nowt but a babby our Moirah! xxx

1 Like

Well, most of you have me beat, because I’m only 55! Had the symptoms of MS for 40 years, though, and only reached the point this past year where I had to quit working. I still live alone and do for myself; I just need to rest frequently. Up to now, my “problems” were more just temporary irritants than major issues.

Good to know that Noras mum xx

I care for an elderly woman who is bedridden due to MS. She was 93 March 26, 2022. She can move her head, right arm, and right big toe. She was diagnosed around age 40, always refused any type of MS treatments or meds. It’s becoming more difficult for her to swallow, and she can no longer “push” to have a bowel movement (manual removal is necessary).
Because of her swallowing issues, she is now on Hospice (adult failure to thrive). She is losing her voice, too.

My mother came down with MS in 1978 but was diagnosed in 1979. She just turned 80 or 81. She was bed ridden in 1979 over the years trying ever medication outlived all her MS group by at least 20 years. She found the cure. She walks great no double vision no slooping. If she did not break her hip twice snd her back once you would never know she has MS. THE CURE NO STRESS IS HER CURE. I dont know anyboby that lives life as much as my mom. I cant go 1 day without stress. I was thinking about helping my mom write an auto biography or a biography. Good luck and God Bless

Hi App66. I was diagnosed some 16-17 years ago and will be 70 early next summer. Everyone’s ‘journey’ through MS is different but in my case my only real problem is with my right leg. For years it was fine and didn’t really restrict me then around maybe 10 years ago I found that after around 30 minutes walking it sort of gave up. I could still get it to move but it was hard and slow. That duration is now down to 15 minutes or so.

Apart from my leg and walking, I can get periods of ‘MS Fatigue’ but it’s no big problem. Hot weather is a bit of a killer - I’m left with little energy and everything becomes more difficult.

That’s the bad stuff but apart from that I don’t really have any problems . I use a mobility scooter around town for shopping, meals out etc ( my scooter is small and can be folded up and put aside when in restaurants etc).

I most certainly don’t like having MS and the underlying worry of what might happen next is always there and it’s certainly true that I can’t enjoy the things I used to ( walks in the country and the like) but overall my life is OK!

Today , with my wife, we went into town by train and scooter for a hair cut, a lunch time meal, a look around some shops and then back. It all takes a bit more time and thought but overall its was just a good day in town.

Sorry for the long reply but I hope it gives you some assurance - confidence for the future ( and I think that the new DMTs are more effective that the one I started on)

All the best