walking aid?

Hello friends, hope you are all well. I had a telephone call from ms nurse today.This was the first since starting tysabra in December. She chatted generally about how I am feeling etc and then went on to mention my last mri results. There has been a lot of activity hence the reason I am now on tysabra. As you wonderful people on here have told me, me being JC positive is something they will keep monitored, right now the benefits outweigh the risks she said.

We spoke about work etc and my change in mobility. I know I am very grateful to still be working still in a job I love but I am finding it a bit trickier now. Walking has become very tricky and my right leg decides to stop moving every now and then

My nurse has said physio will assess me and decide what is best for now but as I work in a primary school I’m not too sure how this will work as I am out in the yard with the children daily for an hour?

I’m usually a good pain bearer but of late the base of my back is excrutiating and the ms nurse thinks its due to me over compensating with my walking issues. Have any of you lovely people had this?

Yet again many many thanks for reading this and sorry for the long winded comment

Mary x

I actually have less back pain when I use a cane.

Mary,

it is often the case that when one part of the body is not functioning at 100% we sub consciously adapt and try to protect it; however these adaptations can have consequential detrimental impacts. It is a good idea to talk with a Physio or other musculoskeletal professional to try to ensure that the minimum impact is caused. I found that for me a tall staff was a bit better than a cane. Holding it at shoulder height kept me a bit straighter and less stoopy, reducing lower back discomfort.

All the best mick

1 Like

i agree with Mick.

hiking poles are excellent to keep you upright and steady.

they really came into their own when i went to festival number six at portmeirion.

the main square was cobbled and i saw a lot of people looking enviously at my poles (they were able bodied too).

sad that my festival days are way behind now.

Back when I could walk, I used first one, then two crutches - I found they kept me stable and more upright than sticks.

Later, following a nasty relapse, I could only just walk about 10 metres at a time so I began using a walker - the best ones are made by Topro (Norwegian company). They’re expensive but good. The trouble is that as I had more and more trouble walking, I was leaning on the walker very hard and ended up with constant backache.

Then I broke my femur/hip in a fall, had it surgically repaired with plate and screws, but that was the end of any walking at all. I can just about stand and transfer now. But at least I can do that!

Sue

It’s an elbow crutch I use, but walking / trekking poles look less “medical”

You can buy different coloured crutches - they look a lot less NHS institutional.

I have seen stick/crutches jazzed up even with fairy lights!

I feel much safer on my 4wheel walker than i do with a walking stick. When i want to cross the road, and need to twist checking for traffic, it’s much easier with the walker than stick, And in the supermarket it’s easier holding a basket,

Disadvantages… As already been said, i do stoop, so it can’t be doing my back any good, and the wheels are constantly catching on uneven pavrments, Incidently the walker was free. My Gp arranged for a home visit, they put grab handles in the house, and arranged for walkers (2). One to use, like a tray, in the house, the other, with a seat, to use outside.

1 Like

I am so very grateful for all your kind and helpful replies.

The ms nurse is hoping the physiotherapist will see when I am in for my next Tysabra which is 2.3.21.

I will keep you all updated and thank you all again.

Much love and best wishes

Mary x

Mary,

about 15 years ago, when my right leg started acting up, I used walking stick. Instantly, my walking improved as I was more confident and if I happened to talk a bad step, the walking stick protected me.

a few years later, I needed more help, so I graduated to crutches. I got ferrules for the bottom which helped cushion the jarring. Once again my walking improved. I became more upright and my stride widened as my legs followed the crutches. I also used walking poles if I was just going out for a walk. Both the crutches and the poles improved my walking as effectively I had the safety on walking on four “legs”, if that makes sense. Physio should give good advice in your upcoming appointment.

derek

Thank you so very much Derek, that makes sense.

Mary x