Forum

Walk and return to work advice

Yeah I walked about 500yards today and my leg was okayish when I got home, starting to get a lil heavy but I wonder of the trick is I carry on walking through the pain or uncomfortable threshold (which I didn’t on this occasion) or would that make it worse. It’s weird feels heavy but more like it could almost bend both ways if that makes sense and a little rocky. I am whacked now though however didn’t sleep well last night so might have a quick power nap before I get my lil boy. Hopefully back to work monday after over four weeks off. Do you guys think ill be okay to do that now…I feel it’ll do me good and I’ve had an extra two weeks like the nurses suggested. The leg is improving I feel but really hope going back to work won’t set me back. I personally don’t think it will… How soon do people tend to leave it? I feel absolutely fine and the only time I’m not fine is if I’ve walked too far and even then that is fine after ten mins rest. Sensations are no different to what they have been for the last year. Oh and I’m not as good when I’ve had a poor nights sleep but who is eh? Working takes my mind off fatigue when I’m tired as I have a focus. I only work 25.9 hours but may be reducing them to 23.5 if possible due to my new office location and being a mummy :slight_smile: Xxxx

hiya lisa

the leg feeling like its bending both ways means your knee is hyperextensive.

ask to see a physio. best if you are referred to a neuro physio. ask your ms nurse

heavy legs is a common symptom of ms. i get that too although i still go to the gym to make them hurt more!

have you told your employer about your diagnosis?

if so, they have a duty to make adaptations.

does your job involve a lot of walking? or standing?

i’m sure you’ll be fine to go back to work but make sure you listen to your body and rest when it tells you.

carole x

I’m seeing a Neuro physio at the moment via private health and also have apps for nhs physio commencing end of March. The private ones are only five sessions so depending how thats going depends on whether I attend the nhs ones. I’m what they would call at one time a social workers assistant so if I’m not visiting I’m doing paperwork. Work are very good and have reserved a space outside the office for me too. As we all work with over 18s with disabilities they are all very understanding. Obviously many work with people witu m.s and I’m not the first staff member to have it. We had four in one office with m.s apx two years ago! Scarily common. Out of interest when you exerise at the gym does your leg get heavy and what exercise equipment do you use. I was struggling so decided to stick to yoga however I did like the bike and crosstrainer? Thanks x

Ooh just realised its not 500 yards its a 1000, that’s just one way. But my leg is aching now at the top, really hope I’ve not made it worse, I didn’t mean to go that far. No yoga for me tonight! Typical I do more than I meant to when I’m back at work Monday :-/ x

Ooh just realised its not 500 yards its a 1000, that’s just one way. But my leg is aching now at the top, really hope I’ve not made it worse, I didn’t mean to go that far. No yoga for me tonight! Typical I do more than I meant to when I’m back at work Monday :-/ x