Vitamin D

I’m pretty sure my vitamin D levels are checked any time I’ve given arm armload of blood at the hospital, but I’ve never been told if they were low.

Having said that, the MS nurse wanted me to get blood drawn when I saw her on the 19th of this month, because she said something about liver function levels were high on a previous test; not the last time they’d drawn blood, but the time before, some time last year, so she wanted it testing again. This was the first I’d heard of this. So assuming things are as they should be because I’ve not been told otherwise is misleading, I guess!

The BBC news site is today reporting that M&S plans to add vitamin D to thier bread and rolls. I wonder if other companies will follow suit… Vitamin D to be added to M&S bread - BBC News

Ben

That is not true. Levels above 750 nmol/L are toxic. I was at 340 for a while (accidentally - a story I’ve told on here a few times) and my neuro reassured me that some doctors have done experiments getting people with MS up to those levels to see if it helped. I never saw any of the symptoms you get from Vitamin D poisoning when I was up at 340, either.

I meant that the statement that levels above 150nmol/L were potentially toxic was not true. I have no comments on the conversion post (except - why do you feel it necessary to go anonymous on such an uncontroversial post?).

Crumbs never expected a question re Vit D level to cause such issues. Thanks everyone for the info. Am happy I am safe and am still taking my dose will get further guidance from my MS Consultant when I see him next week.

Snowqueen x

I am not trying to shoot the messenger. I am simply pointing out that what you posted is wrong. You said that levels of 150ng/ml were potentially toxic. I hadn’t noticed the change in units but this is still only 375nmol/L, just above what I was told by my neuro was a safe level. He was very clear that your levels have to be twice this for them to be toxic.