Vitamin D waste of money, or false economy!!

I am very pleased that you and your daughter have been able to access the vitamin D you need, I only hope this continues.

Wendy

x

That is what I do Moira but there are lots of folk out there who do not realise that they lack viamin D, GPs seem to have been dishing it out to adults and children who are lacking it. I was moaning about the ‘Tax Payer’s Alliance’ who stated that it is a waste of tax payer’s money. I want to shout it from the rooftops, that lots of us are suceptible to diseases, not just MS because their bodies do not absorb enough vitamin D! If there is a way of preventing these diseases then the NHS should make sure people are informed and given necessary supplements.

Wendy

x

I have found this whole thread to be so interesting as I have been looking into this quite alot recently.

I have tried to add lots of vitd foods into my diet but as already been said, I will not be able to get enough that way alone.

So if I was to get some from Amazon, like so many of you have. What dose am I getting? I don’t know my levels but want to start taking some.

Also I have to children, one is 2 and the other 12. We live in N.Ireland and do not get much sun. My daughter is a red head and I usually keep her out of the sun. Plan on changing this this year though as I am now so scared of her health problem in later life. Should I get some vits for them too and if so what dose?

Sorry for all the questions but just feel like I need to do as much as I can for us.

Lindsay

I bought a years supply of Vitamin D3 from a website called bodykind for about £15, one tablet daily at 5000iu.

Personaly, £15 a year seems like something most people could afford without burdening the NHS.

All research suggests it is beneficial in PREVENTING MS, not nessecarily in making MS sufferers feel better, I’m still taking it, wether or not it really helps I can’t say for sure but if I believe its helping, that is probably worth something for approximately £1.25 a month.

[quote=babylove]

I have found this whole thread to be so interesting as I have been looking into this quite alot recently.

I have tried to add lots of vitd foods into my diet but as already been said, I will not be able to get enough that way alone.

So if I was to get some from Amazon, like so many of you have. What dose am I getting? I don’t know my levels but want to start taking some.

Also I have to children, one is 2 and the other 12. We live in N.Ireland and do not get much sun. My daughter is a red head and I usually keep her out of the sun. Plan on changing this this year though as I am now so scared of her health problem in later life. Should I get some vits for them too and if so what dose?

Sorry for all the questions but just feel like I need to do as much as I can for us.quote.Dear Lindsay, As a mum- l can understand your concerns about your children. l feel guilty that l have even put her at ‘risk’. Nobody else has ms in my family - but my daughter did have glandular fever in her teens - worrying. Babies and toddlers 1000ius - small children 2.500 ius - and adults 5000ius - 10.000iu daily depending on levels. The amount of vitd3 can be taken in one weekly dose. So if you get the 5.000ius - you can all take it - just give it to the children once or twice a week. The Healthy origins softgels are easy to swallow or pierce and squeeze the contents out into juice. l have been taking 20.000ius daily for sometime to get my levels up - they need to be 150/225nmols. The heavier you are the more you need. Lindsay the earlier you start the children the better the protection. Don’t wait for trouble. My SPMS started in early pregnancy - l think l must have been very low of vitd - and of course the growing baby takes a lot ‘goodness’. l then breast fed for 11months. So most likely no vitd3 in my milk. Baby formua - of course has lots of vitd added. We do what we think best at the time.

F.

Can I ask how you find out your vitamin D levels please?

I live in Cornwall and have asked MS nurse, neurologist and GP but all three have told me that there is no guidance on a daily allowance or what is perceived as “low”, so they will not sanction the blood test.

lf your GP won’t do it for you then contact vitamind3world - they do a test kit which is just a pinprick spot test. Your level needs to be 150/225nmols. Just google vitamin d3 deficiency for more answers.

I buy Calcium and Vitamin D tablets from Tesco online, and I take one a day.

What strength are they - and are they vitamin d3 - PWMS need 5,000ius at least daily of vit d3.

F.