VEP Result

Q: Is it possible to have optic neuritis without blurring/loss of vision/loss of colour and without pain?

It is possible that a bout of uveitis I had in both eyes c.10 years ago might have triggered something. The uveitis was diagnosed, treated and signed off by the local Eye Hospital. Caused a small section of retina to detach from the back of the eyeball itself - no pain - no loss of vision until the retina detached, then it looked like a tiny blob of vaseline smack in the middle of my left eye vision (my first and only symptom of something being amiss). Vision back to completely normal as the retina re-attached itself over a period of a few weeks.

Told the Neuro about the uveitis and she was adamant it had nothing to do with what was going on with my CNS. Said I had Migraine - UM Yes, I already knew that - I have had migraine (aura only) since I was 12 or 13.

She wanted VEP test to set a benchmark for possible future reference. Had the test - She requested a second because she thought the results had been skewed by the equipment in the new hospital. Second VEP results virtually the same as the first set.

See the Neuro again toward the end of November.

I think the answer is yes, in the sense that the attack may not have been sufficient for you to notice and it can certainly be without pain, but may nevertheless affect the VEP test which I tunderstand is quite sensitive, picking up signs of damage before they are apparent to the individual. I guess this is the point behind having a benchmark.

Thank you.