VEP & ON - An interesting read.

http://www.mult-sclerosis.org/VisuallyEvokedResponse.html

“The Visually Evoked Response test (VER), also known as the Visually Evoked Potential test (VEP), is a test for Optic Neuritis or other demyelinating events along the Optic Nerve or further back along the optic pathways.”

“Because of their ability to detect silent lesions and historic demyelinating episodes, they are very useful diagnostic tools. A definite diagnosis of multiple sclerosis requires at least two distinct demyelinating episodes, in two different central nervous system sites which are separated by at least one month (the Schumacher criteria). VEPs can often provide evidence of such episodes when other tests, even MRI, cannot.”

“Almost everyone with optic neuritis will have an abnormal VEP latency. Studies show that 85-90% of people with definite MS and 58% of people with probable MS have abnormal VEPs.”

http://www.mult-sclerosis.org/opticneuritis.html

“Optic Neuritis is one of the most frequently presenting symptoms of multiple sclerosis, although there are other causes. Indeed, ON is the most common symptom at onset of MS and presents unilaterally (in one eye only) in 70% of cases. The majority of all cases of ON, MS-related or not, are caused by demyelination.”

“Most typically, Optic Neuritis first affects people aged between 15 and 50 years of age. In this age group, studies indicate that more than 50% of patients will convert to Multiple Sclerosis within 15 years.”

“As with MS, women are about twice as likely as men to present with ON and the prevalence in Caucasian peoples is higher than in other racial groups.”

http://www.mult-sclerosis.org/Uhthoffssymptom.html

“Uhthoff’s symptom is a condition most commonly observed multiple sclerosis and particularly in Optic Neuritis where small increases in body temperature (hyperthermia) caused by exercise, hot baths or showers or otherwise, cause a worsening of symptoms.”

Thanks for that… I have a VEP test on Thursday, so good to know why they are doing it. I have had ON for the past 17 weeks in right eye and 11 weeks in left eye, and its starting to get me down now! It would be great to wake up one morning to find it had gone as quickly as it came!

Paula x

I had it back in March for a few weeks. Was awful as I had to keep my right eye patched just to be able to get about. It made me feel sick if I tried to use that eye and I had real trouble crossing roads because all the traffic confused me. I actually had to get my kids to tell me when it was safe to cross the road! It was like role reversal and secretly it upset me. .

It is almost back to normal now. I don’t need to patch it.

Yours has gone on much longer than mine.

I always like to know what these tests involve and why. I like to be well prepared.

Hope yours resolves itself soon!

ON is horrible, and because mine struck completely out of the blue, it makes it very scary too. It upsets me to lose my total independence and rely on people to give me lifts everywhere etc. I didnt realise I relied on my car quite as much as I did.

Uhthoff’s symptom is a condition most commonly observed multiple sclerosis and particularly in Optic Neuritis where small increases in body temperature (hyperthermia) caused by exercise, hot baths or showers or otherwise, cause a worsening of symptoms.

Found this part particularly interesting as I feel like I am melting many times a day including after showers etc.

It is good to know your ON is resolving itself, gives me bit of hope :smiley: x