Unwanted tears?

Hi there,

Something bizarre has begun to occur since the summer, and I wondered whether this was a symptom that others experience. There are moments when my eyes just decide that they are going to cry. I don’t mean that I bawl with tears or anything. I just have tears coming from my eyes as though I’m crying. And then I have to make some excuse about my eyes watering because I have a cold. It could be at a moment when I’m suffering mild stress, but nothing that should make me cry. It’s very inconvenient, particularly in a work situation.

Anyone else have this?

Astro

yes I had that with my last flare, I talked to my GP about it and she called it emotional lability…sort of an over the top reaction to something. Something that was sad…I would be howling with tears at…there was one point when my husband was really concerned as I am so pragmatic normally. I’m so pleased to say it passed off at the same as the swallowing problems I was experiencing. I was choking on my food and aspirating my drinks. I am waiting for my MRI results…GP thinks a lesion in the brainstem could cause these symptoms. Anyway…take heart as this did pass. Hope it passes for you too really quickly, Gill x

Thanks Gillian,

It’s good to know that I’m not going completely nuts :slight_smile:

Astro

I’m a lot more emotional than I was a few years ago. Welling up at TV adverts, what’s that about?!

Mrs Chicca I do think as one ages and goes through poop, pain and turmoil it has a “softening” effect. Since I was virtually housebound a couple of years ago it has had a profound and lasting effect on me. I am particularly empathetic with anything to do with pain, disabilty or an underdog. The extreme bursts of uncontrollable emotion was deadful though…it could range from silent tears rolling down your face anytime, anyplace and anywhere…to uncontrollable sobbing. Dreadul as I have always had a good grip of my emotions particularly in public.Ewwww

This only happens to me in my right eye and when I am lying down, odd! I have become (I think understandably) more emotional since my episode though, e.g getting upset at Strictly Come Dancing because I don’t think I will ever be able to dance again etc.

Awww Puddinglover I know what you mean. it’s like looking in a shop window at something you can never have…only stacks worse as you know how great it is. Occassionally too I cry over happiness which I dont think i EVER did previously. My friends get really upset by me doing it. Gill x

Hi, if the tears aren`t the product of crying, perhaps you need to see your GP about it. Could be a tear duct problem.

I know what you mean about seeing folk do the things you cant now do.

It`s a chuff innit?

pollx

I get that, I also well up really easily over anything slightly emotional, so unlike me normally.

Hi Boudica, I’ve seen advice on here that talks of only giving the main symptoms to doctors, as otherwise they think you’re a complete hyperchondriac. So, I’m internally cataloguing all of these odd things that are happening, but until I get any diagnosis, I don’t really want to talk to a doctor about it. Thanks for the tear duct thought, though.

Astro

I think you’re damned if you do damned if you dont Astro. I saw a neuro for symptoms briefly 4yrs ago and got told all of my symptoms were normal. Have just got on with it until May this year when I went back to gp and saw another neuro july who said probably anxiety (although his ltter did say some abnormal symptoms) despite not being back and forth to the gp. Saw a different neuro Sept as eyes had gone funny who has said ? Ms. My point being I was labelled anxious even though I didn’t go back and now neuro talks about my symptoms as though 1 episode with onset this year A

Hi Arwen,

you’re absolutely right. When I first went to see the GP with problems in hands and feet (paresthesia/numbness), the doc said something ridiculous about dry skin possibly causing tingling. I didn’t go back there for 18 months/2 years, when problems already much worse. The doc said it was a positive thing that this had been going on so long, like that meant it probably wasn’t anything to worry about (??!!!)

I now understand why doctors are often called quacks :slight_smile:

Astro

Hi Arwen,

you’re absolutely right. When I first went to see the GP with problems in hands and feet (paresthesia/numbness), the doc said something ridiculous about dry skin possibly causing tingling. I didn’t go back there for 18 months/2 years, when problems already much worse. The doc said it was a positive thing that this had been going on so long, like that meant it probably wasn’t anything to worry about (??!!!)

I now understand why doctors are often called quacks :slight_smile:

Astro

Hi Astro,

Mine has been a little embarressing to, I dont tend to cry though, I have the runny eye thing in my right eye but I put it down to 1 of my eye’s is working a lot harder than the other so after I’ve consentrated quite hard or been watching tv for a while, it weeps.

I have had un controlable giggling though for no reason and lets just say it’s a good job my husband has a good sence of humour and is very understanding

Jo xxx