To stick or not to stick ...

Awww Kelly. It sounds lovely.

I carry a stick. It has lots of daisies on it and I love it.

Hubby, Dave, is having a knee op on the 17th but for some reason it doesn’t want to borrow my stick!!! I said I would buy him a hat to match but he is not interested!!! So ungrateful!!

Shazzie xxx

Hi JellyBellyKelly

Go girl! Your stick sounds awesome already but when it’s pimped I’m sure it’ll be even better. Shame you can’t post pictures on here. Mine’s a red floral one (there wasn’t so much choice in the shorter lengths but it was the brightest!).

I found it a huge emotional hurdle using my stick at first so I started off using it where no-one knew me. When I felt comfortable and had stopped kicking the stick or trying to trip myself up with it (it’s tricky at first ) then I used it locally.

Hope you find it as much a help as I do. My legs are gradually getting stronger now (and only a couple of weeks ago I thought I had reached a plateau) but I am still glad I have the stick so when the fatigue hits I can make it back to the car safely.

Will keep everything crossed that your legs recover too. It sometimes takes a while but there’s always hope

Tracey xx

Good on you JBK!..your stick sounds really cool!..and helps your walking then its both cool and functional :slight_smile: Jools X

Good for you, Jelly, and thanks for the up-date…so glad you found one you liked! The ‘pimping’ will be fun and hopefully create an instant bond between you and your stick!

May I ask where you got it from, as, if I do end up succumbing, I have my heart set on a purple one! Trouble with me is, I’m ony 4’11", so will need a very adjustable one!!!

I got mine from Amazon - it’s a Switch Stick and there are loads of colours & patterns to choose from. It was about £30 I think. I was very tempted with the neon pink with purple leaf pattern. I finally got one cause the peeps here made sense when they said its better to have one & not need it than to find you need it & not have one. Take care JellyBellyKelly xx

I have had a few drinks so…

If your rrms and do not suffer from spasticity get your butt down the gym and use the machines to strengthen thigh and calf muscles.

With the right DMD and going to the gym couple times a week you can get back strength and mobility.

If you get a stick at early or non wheel chair stage you will rely on it, leg and balance will ge worse.

Only talking 2 or 3 hours down the gym per week which it was I do and I’m stronger than before diag.

My leg will give away the odd time if I abuse it but normal walking is fine with no foot drop.

Before gym I was all over the place with broken toes and factured coccyx.

At the end of the day the choice is yours, fight for mobility or have a sliding decline!

Actually I do go to the gym twice or three times a week & thanks to my belly dancing my butt cheeks could crack walnuts. The stick is for one situation. I will be in London, on the tube after a fourteen hour day - lots of it sitting so my bad leg will stiffen & when I know my balance will be at its worse & I need to use the escalators in peak hours. You are entitled to your opinion but I know my body best. The stick has been bought & will be in my bag - just in case in need it. It may stay there or I may bring it out to attack the ankles of people who have had a few drinks!!! :wink:

Hobs - I do agree that exercise is good for MS but that alone is not enough to keep us safe when we are suffering from a disabling relapse or balance issues and advising someone to not rely on a stick is not very helpful.

If I had not ‘relied’ on a stick back in March when my right leg seized up almost completely, even after the steroids, I have no doubt that I would have been virtually housebound for at least a month. Having experienced that before 4 years ago, I had no wish to repeat the experience which is why I considered a stick despite the emotional turmoil.

As my legs have improved, I have made a concerted effort to lean less of my weight on the stick and to walk as normally as possible. More recently I have kept the stick folded in my handbag and only brought it out after I had walked some distance and the pain or fatigue kicked in.

I am not reliant on it, nor have my muscles wasted away. I have continued my yoga stretches twice daily all this time and in fact just today I went for a walk along the prom for approx 3/4 of a mile round trip from my house and didn’t use the stick at all. Woo hoo, that’s the first time I haven’t become fatigued and needed it.

JBK - you have made the right decision for you. You sound like a determined lady and I am sure you will never ‘give in’ to MS but you also see the sense in using aids to keep you safe. Rock that stick with style!

Tracey x

I gave in a bought a stick last week as my left leg has a habit of buckling slightly when I’m tired. It’s a foldable one from Argos and just stays in my handbag for when I need it. I find I get less muscle pain when I use it. I’m on the lookout for some sparkly butterfly stickers for mine :wink: Kaz xxx