The Flu Jab

Ok thanks Liz. I can see were you are coming from. I certainly will not use it again. I wonder why it seems to be a widely used term within the medical profession with regard to vacinnes. Not a PC (politically correct) term, dont you think!

I dont want to be disliked on this site as even though I may not have MS (although jury is still out on that one) I have spinal cord issues and my symptoms are very similar to pwms.

Thanks

Moyna x

[quote=Moyna]

Vaccines are great for the herd population but I do believe some of us are more sensitive than others. I have a son with a dual diagnosis Downs Syndrome and autism. Autism was not present in his early years. His first few vacinnes went fine but when he was 3 he developed retinoblastoma (eye cancer) and had to have his right eye removed. He was given an implant and then a prothesis eye to go on top. His body was trying to reject the implant and he had continual eye infections - ooze literally pored out. In that first year he had it surgically replaced 3 times. He also had cold after cold. He had been assessed for school and was considered for mainstream as he was classed as excellant Downs by language therapists and educational pyschologists. Anyway a week before school he had the preschool booster. Three hours after the jab he was complaining of sore head so I gave him calpol. When I checked on him before going to bed he was burning up. I took him straight to casualty as he appeared to begoing in and out of consiousness. Anyway he spent 1 week in intensive care and we were told he had a virus. On coming home he was listless and weak and withdrawn. Then two weeks later he caught chicken pox from his sister. She had 2 spots and he was covered. Back into hospital we went for another week. Then by christmas Patrick had lost eye contact, his speech and was back in nappies. We were told his immune system had taken too much of a hit , eye, vacinne and CP. He has never recovered. Then 4 years ago I was advised to give him the flu jab and they gave it to me too as his carer. That night his temperature rose and he began for the first time to fit. Back into hospital we went and he was diagnosed with another virus. While in hospital with him I began to feel numb down my left side and weak down my right. Hot felt cold and vice-versa. My head was pounding and I felt like I hac the flu but no temperature. I developed l’hermittes and the fatigue was unbelievable. I was told I was suffering from severe stress. two months later we both felt better but I was left with weakness in my right leg. 3 years later this weakness was bad so I had an MRI with lesion/spinal atrophy on my cervical cord. Was tested for MS but LP was clear. I have been told that I either had an attack of ADEM that November or I am suffering from radiation myleopathy from treatment I had 22 years presiously! The doctors have advised that Patrick should not have another vacinne. I have not had one either. Despite all this my other children have all had jabs successfully but they are all very healthy. Doctors have informed me that the jabs are fine for 99% of the population. My twins (15) had boosters this week and are great.

Moyna x

[/quote

Hi Moyna, I dont see why using the word herd should cause so much upset. i took it to mean the general population.

With all the sorrow you have had to deal with, I reckon you could be cut some slack hum.

Lets put this matter to bed abnd move on.

luv Pollx

Hi I had my first flu jab last year and had a short timed cold. I was under the illusion that I did have MS then. I also had the jab again this year and feel fine.

OK I know I dont have MS, but even if I did, I would still have the jab.

Sadly, as in all vaccinations, some people have very bad reactions, whilst others are fine.

luv Pollx

‘Herd immunity’ is a well-used term used when talking about immunity in any population - cats, dog, humans every type of living thing that can get an infection. Herd is used to indicate a group of aminals living together as a community.

In our case that can, for example, mean that individuals can develop immunity as a result of other individuals being immunised. A lot of people didn’t give their kids the MMR vaccine partly because as most of the other kids were immunised the infection wouldn’t spread to the social groups their kids were in. Too many people didn’t vaccinate their kids and there was reduced herd immunity so the number of kids getting the infection increased more than you would expect - more than just the additional number of unimmunised children.

I don’t mind belonging to a herd. Cows live in herds, and I like cows. I quite like being compared to cows :slight_smile:

The same goes for Elephants.

I don’t really understand why anyone is insulted, but they are entitled to their opinion.

I have epilepsy and diabetes as well as MS. Getting the flu, and lying in bed for a few weeks on top of them doesn’t sound like a nice thing to me! I’ve never had a bad reaction to the flu jab, and I’ve had them for many years. Even when I had eye pain which is probably my first episode of MS. I have felt ucky in the afternoon after a jab, but OK by bedtime.

Thanks for that Ellen. I am relieved.

Love Moyna x

OTOH, if you Google “Herd Instinct” or “Herd Mentality”, you might find something that could give rise to offence.

“A mentality characterized by a lack of individual decision-making or thoughtfulness, causing people to think and act in the same way as the majority of those around them.”

Taken from: Herd Instinct Definition

“Herd Immunity” as applied to the population is better referred to as “Community Immunity”, and while the percentage of the population that needs to be immunised to stop a disease in a very important factor, so to is the not-so-small (i.e. critical) matter of How Infectious is the Disease? As an example, compare Smallpox and Measles.

Of course, this all started when Fiona pushed her opinion on the 'flu vaccine as an absolute - and a lot of us disagreed with her.
No-one is forced to have the vaccine, but those of us who did for reasons related to one or more pre-existing conditions are glad the we made the decision to do so; not from “following the herd”, but as a matter of rational choice.

Geoff

I’m with EllenC on this, ‘herd immunity’ is a well used concept and phrase, although it may have been superceded in recent times by ‘community immunity’ as Geoff points out. It obviously wasn’t meant as offensive at all and I’m surprised anyone would find it so.

I’ve never had a flu jab, but I have had relapses. I don’t think there’s a link. I agree with Geoff, this is irresponsible scaremongering.

I’m having the flu jab this year because I now have late onset asthma and 20 years of MS. My risk of something awful like pneumonia is now much higher. I had bronchitis and crepitus last winter and it was noisy and quite painful.

I’m also a friend of Belinda from Australia and was extremely worried about her when her flu turned into pneumonia.

I can’t take that risk now, not with bronchial problems of my own.

You are not going to be disliked. If anything it looks like I’m going to be sent to Coventry…hang on a mo…I already live in Coventry so it can’t get much worse

I liked that Liz, brought a smile to my face.

Moyna x

It sounds like we all agree - no one meant any offence to anyone else.

take care everyone,

Ellen

ps I quite like Coventry

Me too - even though we were originally ‘sent’ here with the OH’s job.

Liz

We aim to please

Liz

Flu can and does kill people every year. A few years ago a client of mine, Donna, who had no underlying health conditions caught flu as did her husband. He recovered and went to work - on return that day he found her dead in bed. They didn’t realise but she had developed pneumonia. It was just before Christmas so I always think of her at this time of year - her funeral was held just a few days short of her 44th birthday. So when I was diagnosed with MS and offered a flu jab I leapt at the chance. And when I feel sorry for myself I think of Donna too. I may have MS but I am otherwise healthy and glad to be alive. As others have said, the overwhelming evidence is that the flu jab is beneficial for those with MS - I had no second thoughts when queuing up for mine. Take care Hilary

I’m a nurse and flu kills…flu vaccine doesn’t. When you see previous fit and healthy young people, never mind the ill and elderly dying in their hundreds every year from the flu, you wouldn’t dismiss the vaccine.

2 Likes

Hi

I had my flu jab done when I think I may actually have been already experiencing a relapse and I don’t believe it had any bearing on that relapse at all.

I obviously wasn’t too brilliant at the time of the jab but I certainly felt no different after I’d had it.

I won’t hesitate to have it done every year from now on.

A M

this is a tricky one, I am a clinician who has prescribed and administered flu vaccines and I have had RRMS for 20 years now. in my case my immune system is overactive and normally have WBC of 10 plus and this is normal for me(unfortunately). what im saying is that if you are immobilized and exposed to others who are ill then you may be at risk, but yes the vaccine despite what people say can cause an immunological reaction not unlike a small relapse. The question is what is small is not for everybody!. therefore it has to be an individual choice, but what im saying is if your immune system is healthy despite having MS then don’t feel pressured to have this, but if your immune system is weak and or you are impaired then give it careful consideration. I will add that just because everybody says its ok to have, your body is being given a viral component that it might react too

Each to his or her own. Just ha flu vac. PS this thread is an old one from 2012 so maybe the poster’s have other opinions now but even if they don’t. I believe they were just offering their own experiences.

2 Likes