Tecfiera side effects

Hi I’m on the end of my 3rd month of taking tec and I’ve started to notice my hair is falling out. I’m really panicking over everything, the hot flushes, prickles, I’ve also started to have minor heart palpitations at night in bed I just feel like I’m on edge all the time, my stomach is so bloated. I can’t sleep or il be wide awake at 5am, I’m constantly exhausted, I’m thinking of not having any medication all together.

My question Is this all normal side effects?
TIA

1 Like

Hi I’m sorry you’re having a bad time on Tecfidera. I’ve been taking it for about 7 years and still have intermittent very hot flushes. It looks like sunburn and feels like an allergic reaction. It generally affects my face and neck/ upper chest but if it’s bad can be all over my body. It usually lasts about 30 mins. Sometimes it can make me feel shaky. My hair has got thinner but that may also be due to being menopausal age.
On the plus side I don’t have any gastric s/e and have had no new lesions since starting it. Hope this helps and hope it gets easier for you

Hi I was on Tecfidera a few years ago and I used to the prickly heat flushes, as soon as they started, I’d take a Piriton (antihistamine) and that calmed it down but I had to come off it cos my blood tests kept showing that my Lymphocytes (white blood cells) were dropping and my Neurologist said they shouldn’t drop below 0.5. After being on Tecfidera for 16 months, they dropped to what I was told was a dangerously low level - 0.27, so I was taken off it.

Hi, I’ve recently started Tec too, just about to have my first blood test after 3 months. I have all sorts of side effects, but hoping that they calm down soon - especially the flushing - my family think I look like Violet Buregard! Have just started getting leg cramps in the night though, they are driving me mad and waking me up perhaps 5-6 times and having to try and get out of bed to stretch them out. Not sure if it is the Tec or just another one of those things.

Hi, I’ve been on Tec nearly 3 years, aside from the odd hot flush when I just started taking it, I’ve had no side effects at all. MRI’s and lympho counts are all good too.

I’ve been on Tecfidera for a year and half . I do get flushing every once in a while. I take it with peanut butter as they say good high fat does help . Good luck