Tecfidera making me feel so ill...

I would just like to say tat these threads really helped me when I started on Tecfidera. I am coming up to 5 months on the tablet and I am not looking back at all!

The first week on the lower dose for me was fine and I must admit I thought it would be a machine and nothing would hit me. Oh my how I was wrong!! Upped the dosage to 240 and 5 days in (12th day of the drug) I began feeling awful. It came on so quickly, but by the next day I wasn’t able to eat and was throwing up every hour. The only thing I could eat were crackers, and only a few of them. I was completely sofa bound.

After the 4th day of this I managed to get some anti sickness tablets from my GP (Metoclopramide) which I took for about 2 weeks. Although I felt dizzy and weak the whole time, I stuck with it. I worked from home and tried to keep eating protein heavy meals. I began feeling better so stopped taking the sickness meds and things were calm while I focussed on gaining back the 10lbs I had lost!

Now 4 months later I get flushing sometimes, however I don’t mind as the tablets fit better with my lifestyle and I don’t have injections marks everywhere! I am so glad I stuck with it now I am out the other side.

A couple last minute suggestions…

• Eat breakfast (I actually got bored of bacon, something I didn’t think could happen)

• Keep hydrated

• Snack between meals

Good luck :slight_smile:

1 Like

Good work Rosso!

Congrats on sticking with it; i am unsure i could have; i have always been a wimp when it comes to nausea and stomach queasiness.

It would be advisable to anyone like me (aka not as resilient as Rosso) to graduate the dose more slowly; ie dont go to the full daily dose in week two. But if you can do it, and just wanna get it done… clearly it is not impossible!