Supplements - Vitamin D shortage

[quote=“lals02”]

Julsie, I think that is expensive - check out Amazon, I was about £30 for 360 iu10,000 capsules and free delivery x

[/quote] Thanks for that i will check it out.

julsiexx

[quote=“rizzo”]

Sorry, but yes, it’s very expensive. On the upside, you will have more money in your purse if you switch!

Check out healthy origins vitamin d3 5000iu on amazon and ebay. There are 360 in one bottle and it’s one a day. At the moment they are £11 on amazon and about £14 on ebay.

Karen x

[/quote]It looks like ive been ripped off, it is a very posh health shop, oh well we live + learn. julaiexx

Another tip - according to my books on vitd3 - is you do not need to take it everyday - you can take a high dose once a week -or perhaps 2/3 times - to suit yourself. Amazon Healthy Origins 360 softgels 10.000ius is good value - so it would be economical to buy the highest ius - but not take them everyday if you do not want the high dose. Our [ms] levels should be between 150/225nmols - ln The Vitamin D Cure - they actually gauge the amount you should take by your body weight. 25ius /lb. My levels were very low - and l took 20.000ius per day for a year - and still my levels were low. l now take 10.000ius daily - my bone-density test has improved - which was a relief after fracturing my ankle very badly.

l expect the cost will escalate - as it will be supply and demand. And you cannot get it on prescription at these doses- it will take the nhs 50yrs to catch up with recent research/development. The MSS could of course use some of their funds to bulk buy - and let us pwms buy it at cost.

To compare the nmols levels to nmg - you need to multiply by 2.5

F.

I do not take vit. D directly. I have had MS for 13+ years. My GP is honest, in that he does not know the best ‘medicine’ for MS. He has ‘two’ relatives who have MS. He divulged that He himself is a possible candidate for MS. He doesn’t ‘directly’ recommend that I should take vit. D.

Marcus.

Marcus, most GPs are not up to date with the vit D research - and I would guess even the ones with MS in their family. They are very busy and deal with all sorts of things - it’s impossible to keep up to date with everything.

Have you at least had your D3 levels checked? It’s a simple blood test.

Lots of MSers are deficient which can cause muscle pain and mobility problems.

Karen x

Thanks Karen,

I’ll have a word with my gp and see what she has to say, if not I’ll speak to my rhumy and neuro as they work in harmony.

I guess I must be to low which ever way you look at it and I don’t know if the result consisted of D2 & D3 or just D3. It seems I’ve still got lots to learn.

Thanks again.

Love Janet x

my GI consulatant and Neuro both suggested that I should be on AdcalD3, which is a prescrption drug. That has the required dose of D£ and Calcuim.

Hi All

I have very interested in the Vit D Theory and have started to supplement using Healthspan but I think they are only 1000iu. Does anyone know what the suggested dose is.

I suspect that I could be low but when I tried to get a test done, they said that they could not do these anymore at my local GP’s.

Is there anywhere else where I can get a test done?

Do people taking high doses find that they have benefited from it?

Thanks for any advice.

Hi Helv,

I take Adcal D3 twice a day and have not noticed any difference at all.

I always have my tests done at my gp’s surgery. Maybe the hospital would do yours if you ask the MS nurse.

Janet x

I think, for most people, the benefits are protective, rather than making you feel better. Emerging evidence suggests RRMSers with lower levels are at greater risk of a relapse.

So taking it isn’t going to give you a sudden boost, but might be helping to cut your relapse risk.

Tina

l had my first bloodtest done at the gp surgery. After that l got one online - with my vitd3 - it is just a blood-spot test [small prick] in finger.

F.

l had my first bloodtest done at the gp surgery. After that l got one online - with my vitd3 - it is just a blood-spot test [small prick] in finger.

F.