Still unsure any advice?

Hi in the autumn of 2016 I had some numbness in my legs that lasted about 2 weeks it wasn’t constant it would come and go I saw neurologist had mri went for results I had 2 very faint small patches of inflammation on my brain but was told definitely not ms I had slightly bulging disc in bottom of back but that’s it. May 2018 I injured my neck/shoulder couldn’t move the pain was unbelievable went to a&e got told it was muscle related prescribed painkillers and within a week I was getting better but have never felt 100% back to normal then autumn 2018 I went completely numb in one side of my body (the same side of my bad neck/shoulder) I had a few other neurological symptoms like foggy brain altered sensation so was sent to a new neurologist who sent me for mri I got results Tuesday and he said I have 1 new lesion on my brain and 1 on the cervical part of my spine so he said he’s confident enough to diagnose ms and has referred me to ms nurse to discuss starting medication. Does this sound right as everything I have read about mri on brain there is normally lots of lesions could this all be due to my neck and back problems? I don’t want to start unnecessary medication if he could be wrong.

Thank you

There aren’t always loads of lesions. The McDonald Criteria is the standard by which MS is diagnosed. Have a look at: McDonald criteria | MS Trust

So as you can see, what is important is relapse history and demyelinating lesions. If they can see relapses and/or lesions disseminated in space and time (different places in the brain/spine and separated in time), then that’s enough to diagnose MS.

It’s not unusual to have an MRI, be told you have a lesion or two but it’s not MS (happened to me many years ago). It’s less common these days, but clearly still happens.

Don’t forget, the neurologist is also using the history of your previous ‘relapses’ and (presumably) a physical examination. This all adds up to present a picture to the neurologist. They can be wrong, but it’s not terribly common.

Talk to the MS nurse when you see them about the diagnosis as well as starting medication. Disease modifying drugs (DMDs) are designed to reduce the number and severity of relapses. So in order to remain as stable as possible, it’s a good thing to consider a DMD.

Sue

Thank you it does make sense that it would be ms but I guess I just thought there may be a slight possibility it could be something else. In all my physical examinations they say everything is normal and the 2years between episodes I have been absolutely fine no symptoms at all. When the neurologist told me it was ms he was so relaxed it felt like he was just telling me I had a cold or something. His words was it’s good news really it’s mild so you will be ok. I can’t help feeling it’s not going to be ok.

To be perfectly honest, the neurologist is talking utter pants when he says it’s mild so don’t worry. If anyone should know how unpredictable MS is, it’s a neurologist.

However, that doesn’t mean your MS will bring about rapid, or even slow, disability. In particular if you get on a good disease modifying drug, one that suits you and prevents relapses.

Many people do have few and far between relapses, and don’t develop any significant disability. So if your neurologist can see from your MRI scan that your disease pattern will be mild, then hopefully he’ll be proved right.

Stick with us on the forum, we’ll try to help with queries, questions and just support you might need.

Sue

Thank you :relaxed: it’s good to know there is people I can speak to I had so many questions when I left my appointment but no idea who to speak to, it will be about 7 weeks till I can see ms nurse.

When you are newly diagnosed, there are always a million questions. I suggest if you’re going to start googling symptoms etc, stick to reliable sites. Like this one (hit the ‘About MS’ tab), the MS Trust (try searching the words mS Trust and whatever you want to know about, eg spasms, pain, whatever), or the NHS.

Obviously you can either do a search on this forum for specific terms, or start a new thread with questions and thoughts. We’ll generally have some opinions and/or experiences. Just remember these are our opinions so treat what we say as relatively reliable, but it’s from experience, so not scientifically proven.

Sue

1 Like