Spinal tap

Hi

I have been referred for a lumbar pucture test after a 3 week epsiode of Lhermittes and weakness in my arm. My MRI was inconclusive and as two immediate members of my family have MS my neuro wants to have me checked out.

My question is now that the Lhermittes has settled down (i have buzzing feet and a few pins and needles just) would a LP show anything up. I wonder if it is possible to detect anything even when symptoms are not active.

Any advice would be helpful.

K

Yes I don’t think (emphasis on the think!) that you need to be relapsing/getting symptoms for a positive lp. I think if they find certain proteins and cerebral spinal fluids past the blood brain barrier that will they’ll them what they need to know. Good luck with the procedure, had one done to confirm dx. It’s really all over very quickly.

Hi Ruby

As above really. My dx was confirmed through LP 3 mths ago. I’ve had intermittently but not at the time of the LP. of the MS

AS said they examine the spinal fluid for antibodies and proteins indicative. The LP itself is pretty straightforward nowadays and nothing to worry about.

Good luck

Adam

Thanks for the replies was hoping I may get out of it as my symptoms had settled down lol. Did you both have leigons on your MRI scan, really dont want to go through this procedure

Hi again ruby, yeah I had lesions on my MRI, had my lp done to rule out malignancy, it ruled it out but left me with an ms diagnosis. I was freaked at the thought of having it done too, but the fear is worse than the reality. Over in about 20 mins, you can’t see anything and it doesn’t hurt. Might feel a little tender afterwards but nothing horrendous. Try not to panic it’s really ok. Good luck.

MS is a disease when the immune system is active in the CSF (spinal fluid). They look for oliginical bands and if the are the CSF and not in the blood then the LP is deemed positive. 95% of people with MS have a positive LP. A normal (negative) result is when they match - ie blood and CSF.

Moyna xxx

Hi Ruby

MRI wise I first had a spinal MRI that did show lesions and then latterly the brain MRI showed several. I’m about to get a further MRI on the brain to check progress.

It’s obviously unpleasant but I believe we’re better off having a diagnosis confirmed or not. At least you can then start to get rid of the doubt. Remember a dx(diagnosis) doesn’t change anything it’s just a label and you have to deal with the symptoms you have however they’re labelled.

Good luck

Adam

Hi Ruby

MRI wise I first had a spinal MRI that did show lesions and then latterly the brain MRI showed several. I’m about to get a further MRI on the brain to check progress.

It’s obviously unpleasant but I believe we’re better off having a diagnosis confirmed or not. At least you can then start to get rid of the doubt. Remember a dx(diagnosis) doesn’t change anything it’s just a label and you have to deal with the symptoms you have however they’re labelled.

Good luck

Adam

Hi Ruby

Good luck

Adam